CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

To the guys running no fuel pump....

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend who has a 97 F3 with a fuel pump and both of our bikes ride identically. I will try to give an unbiased opinion of running without the fuel pump and let people decide for themselves.

Pros:
Save the money of a replacement(s).
Same performance of as with a fuel pump. (if you can tune it properly)

Cons:
With a low fuel level performance is hindered. (with a quarter of a tank or less, the bike loses power and will sputter)
Honda put the pump on there for a reason.
Petcock has to be run in the "reserve" position for the bike to perform well, so you need to keep an eye on your fuel.

I wouldn't advocate taking the pump off unless your current one is screwing up. The weight is negligible, so I especially wouldn't do it just to shave half a pound. I hope that clears up all the issues. I'm not trying to convince folks to rip their pumps off, just letting them know that it can be done.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cinderfella
I have a friend who has a 97 F3 with a fuel pump and both of our bikes ride identically.

Cons:
With a low fuel level performance is hindered. (with a quarter of a tank or less, the bike loses power and will sputter).
Improper fuel amounts in an engine can cause severe engine problems over time.
Sputtering/loss of power aren't cosmetic issues my friend, its the bikes way of saying something is wrong.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by spicymeowmix
Improper fuel amounts in an engine can cause severe engine problems over time.
Sputtering/loss of power aren't cosmetic issues my friend, its the bikes way of saying something is wrong.
I dont think he said it was a cosmetic issue...

And, the f2's run without fuel pumps, The f2/f3's engine are almost identical. The only real difference in the carbs is the ram air set up. So why wouldnt a gravity feed gas flow work in theory? ...It should.
As long as the fuel level is above the carbs then it should work without an issue.

Of course there is an issue with that, Why did honda have a gravity fed petcock on the f2's? Because of the fact there was no fuel pump, So IF a float on one of your carbs sticks open, It will flood into your carb and into the cyl, and possibly the gas can get into your crankcase. Rare, But it happens.

I dont see an issue running without a fuel pump if you need to, Thats my 2 cents.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat

There are different uses for the bike.
I'm not going to discount that it's possible it would work temporarily until you can find a replacement if all you are doing is city riding.

What about stunting.
Racing.
Drag Racing.

Here's just a sample of applications that might throw the balance of a grav feed mid ride and cause a wreck.

Now you may even be well aware of what it takes to make your bike perform.
However this is a form of many inexperienced riders included who read these forums and may not know what they are doing. You understand your 2c could mean a wreck for someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:11 PM

Like i said in my previous post, if you need to.

Also, Like i said As long as the fuel level is above the carbs then it should workAs long as the fuel level is above the carbs then it should work

That doesnt include someone stunting doing endo's and wheelies that the gas sloshes in the tank with, But normal riding.

And with anything, Do it at your own risk.

I wouldnt suggest everyone ditches there fuel pumps, But if you need to, it can work until you get a replacement...

Old 07-24-2010, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by spicymeowmix
do you know this for sure?
as in, have you done tests with the fuel pump on and off and compared?

I just don't want you guys inspiring a newbie to take his pump off and then come back on the forums with a dead bike somewhere in the middle of nowhere because he thought he could shave off a few pounds because people said words like "it probably doesnt" or "never really". or ever worse, have a crash as a direct result.

The bike might appear to run fine to you.
But that doesn't mean it is.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to fight or anything, I just simply don't wanna confirm anything like that without facts. My bike will not perform like it should unless it has one. I know this because I looked for it.

I will say this. Honda knows what it's doing. If there's a fuel pump on there, it's for a reason.
Ok guys.....you've got me thinking. I just bought a 97 f3 tonight....how do you know if it is pumped or pumpless? thanks.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:26 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I too believe that the bike has a fuel pump for a reason.
However, I'm told the cost of replacing an F3 fuel pump is what causes guys to run without them........(that and the fact that a lot of guys don't maintain their bikes as they should.)
No matter what we say, though,Spicy
You can lead a horse to water, but.................................

Old 07-24-2010, 01:16 AM

i have a electric car fuel pump on my bike runs fine but i gotta cut the fuel pump on then cut it off start my bike and cut it back on... it gives it a little extra gas though i believe it has a bit more power but needless to say it runs great with it

Old 07-24-2010, 01:23 AM

yes the fuel pump is on the bike for a reason the tank thats on the bike isnt a gravity feed tank for one so it needs the fuel pump the more gas you use without a fuel pump the more vacuum there is in the tank it dont supply enough gas to the bike, it does supply enough for it to run but not enough for the bike to perform the way it should maybe if you got a gravity feed tank it wouldn't have to have one but needless to say it should have 1 but if you cant afford it you can fun without it for a while but over time your motor will perform worse i believe it will be running for lean to much air and not enough gas which overtime is not good for the bike or any other bike at that

Old 07-24-2010, 12:32 PM

got all my answers,thanks to all.had my bike for a while butjust been buying parts and at the stage where i should be putting it on the road in the next 3 months.

Quick Reply: To the guys running no fuel pump....