CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

To the guys running no fuel pump....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default To the guys running no fuel pump....

Do you guys ever have problems with fuel coming out? I had gas come into the #3 cylinder. carbs had been cleaned 3 times.bought a new float and needle and gasket from honda.But after reading post on here i cleaned the brass hole where the float needle pin(pointed rubber tip thing)goes and if feels 100% better as far as smooth to go up and down compared to before.I went to change the oil,and just as the last bit of oil came out,i'll be damed if 2 gallons of gas didnt come out also!!!havent had time to work on it cause i'm waiting on some more parts,but just would like to know if anyone had this problem?Someone told me that because i dont have a fuel pump the gas is rushing in the float bowls and staying stuck.But i know it can be done because i remember reading about some people who currently run like this.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:15 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat

Originally Posted by edwardzx7
Do you guys ever have problems with fuel coming out? I had gas come into the #3 cylinder. carbs had been cleaned 3 times.bought a new float and needle and gasket from honda.But after reading post on here i cleaned the brass hole where the float needle pin(pointed rubber tip thing)goes and if feels 100% better as far as smooth to go up and down compared to before.I went to change the oil,and just as the last bit of oil came out,i'll be damed if 2 gallons of gas didnt come out also!!!havent had time to work on it cause i'm waiting on some more parts,but just would like to know if anyone had this problem?Someone told me that because i dont have a fuel pump the gas is rushing in the float bowls and staying stuck.But i know it can be done because i remember reading about some people who currently run like this.
the f3 requires a fuel pump
the f2 does not.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 97 F3, went through 2 fuel pumps before finally saying F it and ran a tube from my tank to the carbs. I never had any problems. I make sure to turn my gas off whenever I stop my bike. It ran great for two months until my cooling system took a dump on me.

My buddy also ran his F3 with no fuel pump and had no problems also. Don't know why your bike is giving you problems but I know it can be run without a pump

Old 07-22-2010, 10:50 PM

Ive read that at higher RPMs they can get a bit fuel starved with no pump.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by MrGoats
Ive read that at higher RPMs they can get a bit fuel starved with no pump.
Dirt and I got into a conversation about this and that fuel stability at high rpms is one of the ways the f3 stands out from the f2.

It's debatable, but my f3 leaves my buddy's stage3 f2 in the dust when we get throttle happy.

I know the bike will idle fine without it, but the f2 has a vacuum which grabs the fuel, whereas the f3 does not and must be supplemented by a fuel pump.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:32 AM

wow ok spicy, did you memorize the clymer's manual or something.... lol but its cool, glad someone knows there bike inside and out, and maybe even sideways

Old 07-23-2010, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by darkyuy
wow ok spicy, did you memorize the clymer's manual or something.... lol but its cool, glad someone knows there bike inside and out, and maybe even sideways
nah man i wish i knew that much.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:08 AM

I also run without a fuel pump and have never really had a problem with it. Everyone said it was a temporary solution but I've been riding like this for 3 months now without a problem and until there is a aftermarket fuel pump that will replace the junk OEM ones, I'll keep my bike this way.
You said your #3 cylinder float was sticking. That's most likely the cause of the fuel in the oil pan. If you put all of that fuel into the cylinder it is eventually going to seep past the piston rings and drip down into the oil pan. So assuming you fixed the stuck float valve, you shouldn't have to worry about that problem anymore.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:00 PM

I could never get my bike to run correctly without a fuel pump. It was rough through the entire rev range and would "run out of gas" at random while riding. It was completely un-ridable. I'd put a new pump in there.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderfella
I also run without a fuel pump and have never really had a problem with it. .
do you know this for sure?
as in, have you done tests with the fuel pump on and off and compared?

I just don't want you guys inspiring a newbie to take his pump off and then come back on the forums with a dead bike somewhere in the middle of nowhere because he thought he could shave off a few pounds because people said words like "it probably doesnt" or "never really". or ever worse, have a crash as a direct result.

The bike might appear to run fine to you.
But that doesn't mean it is.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to fight or anything, I just simply don't wanna confirm anything like that without facts. My bike will not perform like it should unless it has one. I know this because I looked for it.

I will say this. Honda knows what it's doing. If there's a fuel pump on there, it's for a reason.

Last edited by spicymeowmix; 07-23-2010 at 02:02 PM.

Quick Reply: To the guys running no fuel pump....