CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Got a toothbrush?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 12:08 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a toothbrush?

So although I know the bike would prefer not to, sometimes I get caught in the rain - I don't mind so bad. But when it's nice out the next day and I've got to clean my bike up before I go anywhere, I'm left wondering about the chain...

Does anyone clean their chain regularly as in, after a wet ride, or the next day? If so, I'm wondering if I just prop the bike up and hit the chain with an old toothbrush if that'll get it good and clean?

Also, anyone here use chain wax? The guy at Honda said it's better than anything he's ever used. Considering it was right next to the Honda Pro Lube, I figured maybe he was being honest. Seems to work really well, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with it and how much it will protect after a wet ride and getting some road grime and gravel in it.

I'm prolly gonna hit it with a toothbrush real good today and maybe reshoot it with some of that wax.

Any ideas?

P.S. On a side note, I Photoshopped my seat - I'm defninitely going to cover it with black leather if Santa doesn't bring a Corbin... looks sweet.

Name:  bike2Seat.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  143.1 KB

Old 12-15-2006, 12:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Got a toothbrush?

tahoe uses chain wax...bel ray...like no fling whatsoever...and toothbrush if it's really grimey...works very well...as far as rain..no need to reclean it, just lube it more.

check this...get chain nice and hot from riding, then clean it, then ride it little bit to get it nice and hot, then spray chain wax on it..or whatever you want...will make sure it gets in there nice and dandy.

your photoshopped seat looks like it's furr'd out...must be hot during summers.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:49 PM

Man, don't use that PG# something or another. Man that stuff is like bubble gum if you get it on your hands/gloves, plus I think it's for Motorcross, why the hell would they sell this crap at a sport bike store? Anyhow, the stuff flings all over the place. I don't have a chaingaurd on my bike so when I spray it up about 3 days later there is a stream which looks like i've been riding off-road full of this freaking black bubble gum lube. Oh and to top it off, I bought some de-greaser and the store owner said it would work on aluminum, steel, plastic, whatever. So I bought the stuff, now my swing arm looks like it was spray painted white, and my yellow fairings are pale and look sun-damaged! Turns out the stuff was for oven cleaning, but it didn't say anything about ovens on the label.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:25 AM

I use chain wax all the time. I think it's much better then lube. It doesn't make a mess all over everything (if you apply it correctly) like lube. You also don't have to lube your chain so often like with lube and it. It also stays on the chain when it rains! I remember when I was using lube, one thunderstorm and my chain is all shiny.
Another benefit of the wax is that dirt from the road doesn't stick to it so easily like with lube.
Yes it will stick to you're hands but you're not suppose to spray it on you're hands
and make no mistake lube sticks to your hands as well.(That’s the whole point it’s made that way so it sticks to the chain)
The big difference is that wax dries but lube doesn’t so it keeps on splattering everything
I know that some people put lube on there chains and then cover it with wax so it doesn’t make such a mess but personally I think you only need the wax.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:04 PM

I use PJ1 blue label, its made for o-ring chains and works great and dosent fly off at all. I havent put any on my CBR yet that new RK chain had alot of this like thik lube stuff but I have used it on my KFX 400 (atv) and it stays on great even after going through alot of mud I reoil it though.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:35 PM

webbikeworld reviewed a dupont lube, and i use it and have zero issues and zero fling (its wax based)

Old 12-22-2006, 01:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use Kerosene with the toothbrush, not to hard or you will damage the "O" rings. wipe it down, let it dry. (I use Chain Wax). ok I know your supposed to lube after a ride, so its warm. But this after cleaning it.