CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Good maintenance day...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good maintenance day...

Got into the bike today to do some tuneup kinda stuff, since from what I have seen the previous owner was a slacker, and I was right.

First, changed the broken fuel pump rubber mount, as well as bending back the tabs for it so they werent lating against the spring.

Changed the fuel filter....apparently it was the one that came with the bike. pulled the intake side hose off and rust poured out. Luckily output side was still clear.

Changed the 3 emissions filters. One was so old the foam wasnt even in it anymore.

Changed out the spark plugs. There were some cheap *** standard Autolites in there. All 4 were gapped to .42 instead of the proper .35 thats called for. Replaced with NGK Iridium IX plugs. However the old plugs all read near perfect, so I know things are running well anyway.

Pulled the petcock off the fuel tank and cleaned what I could out of there, a little but of rust in the screen. Couldnt get the screen out, and didnt think to order a new one, so that will be swapped out next time I order some parts.

Replaced all the wrong/missing bolts/clips I have found so far.

It ran great before, now runs even better. Starts cold without the choke which is nice.

Next weekend should be fun too. New grips, flush and fill coolant, HID headlight, APE CCT.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Default RE: Good maintenance day...

hi,

quick question. I just bought my first bike last week too and was wondering where a good place to buy that stuff like you bought (mainly fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, etc)? and do you know if the major auto parts stores carry motorcyle air filters?

Old 07-02-2007, 05:29 PM

For plugs I would recommend Advance Auto. I got a really good price for teh NGK iridium ones. They would alos be able to get the air filters for you too. For oil, if you are alreadyordering from a an internet supplier, adding on the oil will save you $. If you only need the oil channge stuff, it's cheaper to buy local, at least in my short experience.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:18 PM

plugs from Advance, its came with a K&N Air filter, the emissions air filters and fuel filter I ordered from servicehonda.com with a bunch of other oddball stuff.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:00 PM

hmm i just looked up advance auto and unfortunately they're strictly midwest and east coast. Im in san diego so no dice. Does anyone know if kragen orpep boys carries that stuff?

Old 07-03-2007, 06:30 PM

The CSK website shows they carry them, but for like $11 each. Pep Boys website sucks, so I would recommend calling them up. I know when I bought the plugs,I just called and they found them in another local store for me and transferred them. Perhaps Pep Boys can do the same. Sparkplugs.com also carries them for the same price as does on eBay seller. If you can, make sure you have the Honda spark plug wrench that came with the bike as well as a 1/4" socket and a 10mm socket to fit the end of the plug socket. This is what I used and I didn't have a problem with any of the plugs and I was able to do the entire job in less than 1 hour. (and I have big hands too.)

CR9EHIX-9 NGK Iridium

Old 07-03-2007, 06:51 PM

The NGK stock number is 6216, its the 'simple' version of CR9EHIX-9.

Yeah, using the stock plug tool made things a snap.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:25 AM

Someone on here reckoned if you used the honda plug tool you would have to remove some of the fairing and also the exhaust manifold!!!??? I didn't think this would be correct but as I have never changed my plugs I wouldn't know.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:09 AM

nope, maintenance access covers only had to come off.