CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Getting new keys?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Getting new keys?

Hey Guys,

Long time no post. I've searched around on this but didn't find much. The backstory is, I'm an idiot and I've lost my one and only remaining key for F3.

I'm guessing that the locking cylinder for the helmet lock is the same as the gas cap and ignition.

I have a service manual at home, but I wanted to ask here, is it possible to remove the helmet lock cylinder in order to get a new key made? Has anyone ever had to do this? I've got a week till the next street cleaning, so hopefully I can this fixed and avoid further tickets.

One you're done rolling your eyes, lemme know if you have any comments :-/

Old 03-02-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by N4teTheGreat
Hey Guys,

Long time no post. I've searched around on this but didn't find much. The backstory is, I'm an idiot and I've lost my one and only remaining key for F3.

I'm guessing that the locking cylinder for the helmet lock is the same as the gas cap and ignition.

I have a service manual at home, but I wanted to ask here, is it possible to remove the helmet lock cylinder in order to get a new key made? Has anyone ever had to do this? I've got a week till the next street cleaning, so hopefully I can this fixed and avoid further tickets.

I dunno about the rekey but if you dont have any luck with that you can always go to the home depot and get a 3 wire inline switch and start your bike that way.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:53 PM

I was told you could take a flat headed screwdriver, insert it into the ignition, then pound in with hammer, turn screwdriver, and *PRESTO*! You can now start your bike! Can't say I would recommend that tho lol. Heard alot of older bikes get stolen that way. Maybe you can take the VIN# to a Honda dealer then pay an arm n leg and get one made that way? Works with newer cars.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:14 PM

heh, in my hood people have given me a second look just to see my pushing the bike, so I suspect hammering on the locking cylinder would get the cops to show up. I probably don't want to make it any easier for the bike to get stolen :-/ also the handlebars are locked, so just getting it started won't do much for me.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best way that I 've done this is to remove the ignition switch and take the whole assembly to a locksmith and have him cut a key using the code on back of the ignition switch.Cost me $20.00 for 2 keys.Good luck.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:24 PM

That sounds promising, assuming it is easier to remove, wouldn't the helmet lock use the same key / code?

Edit: never mind, found this thread https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/getting-ignition-code-ahh-111838/#post931050 I'm going to try the title + VIN + dealership option first. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by N4teTheGreat; 03-02-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:30 AM

Note to self: make a few more copies of my only key ASAP

Old 03-03-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by MarkF3
Note to self: make a few more copies of my only key ASAP
First thing I did

Old 03-03-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by N4teTheGreat
Hey Guys,

Try the dealer ship first. They should be able to cut you a key if you bring them your license and registration. Edit: nm you figured that out. :P

Quick Reply: Getting new keys?