CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

gas cap

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 01:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas cap

I bought a new tank for my bike and it has the gas cap on it. I dont have the key, does anyone know whats the best way to go about getting it off? Also is there a gas cap that doesnt require a key?

Thanks

Old 09-23-2007, 01:53 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: gas cap

yea you can get a vortex gas cap that screws on and off.. its about $100 and can really be a pian in the *** .. not to mention imagine if you came out and saw that your gas cap had been stolen [:@]

as for getting the cap off id say have it re keyed

Old 09-23-2007, 03:24 PM

i got this protek off ebay for 29 bucks includin shipping cap and base . you just have to keep lookin n maybe you will get lucky but i seen some for 75 shipped .maybe you can drill out the lock or re key as mentioned but that may run you

Old 09-23-2007, 08:02 PM

as far as I know, you have 2 options for getting it off, having a locksmith make a key for it, or drilling it

Old 09-24-2007, 12:31 AM

I got my keys stolen before..... So I Know how to remove it..... First run your bike outta gass just in case, you dont want any sparks. First take a flat head screw drive and a ruber hammer take the flat head and put it into the key hole and hit it(lightly). Keep going till you can get a side angle. Whenyou do get an angle keep banging on it and try to slide it up. When you do slide it up, \behind it is going to be a like a dip like if you were supposed to pull it apart but wat you do is put it together so that the metal part makes like a rectangle and then its open. AS SOON AS U DO THAT CHANGE THE CAP BECAUSE IF YOU KEEP OPPENING AND CLOSING IT WILL GET MESSED UP AND STUCK.( mine got stuck) If u dont understand that. I'll try to put pictures up.