CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Fuel pump woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel pump woes

Yes, things worked great after that episode. I suspect that the tilt relay was at fault and the pump was "weak". Runs swell now!

Old 06-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Im glad to hear that. Did you purchase a new or used fuel pump ?

About a month ago my wifes F3 had an episode similar to yours. When pulling away from a light it sputtered caughed and died. Wouldnt start. By the time I got back to her ( took a few minutes to realize she wasnt there) She had pushed it up onto the sidewalk. It had plenty of fuel. She tried reserve anyway, but no help. I tried it with the choke, it caughed, then started. Turned off the choke and all seemed ok. We went home just in case.

The next day I checked the operation of the Fuel Cut Relay as well as performed a "Flow" test on the fuel pump. All checked out ok. Things have been fine since then, until last night. Shes at highway speed and it seems like its running out of fuel. She tries the reserve but no help. This time I noticed a little sooner, but still ended up about a 1/3rd mile from her. Went to the next exit, made loop and went back to her. She said it was exactly like it was running out of gas. The same experience as when you're about to go onto reserve, although this time we had just filled up 15 miles before. Everything worked fine but just wouldnt start. Again I used the choke, turned it over a couple of times and it started again. We switched bikes and I rode hers to our destination, and then home later that night. No problems at all.

Fuel Pump Location
Name:  DSC03249.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  32.9 KB

Im figuring, based on her description it has to be a fuel problem. If it was ignition, then it wouldnt seem like it was out of gas, it would just loose power instantly, kindof like turning off a switch. Today I replaced the fuel filter and removed the fuel petcock from the tank to check for blockages. The tank is spotless as was the fuel strainer in the tank. The fuel filter was old, but I could still blow air through it pretty easily, but for $16 I figured Id replace it anyway.
I started studying the fuel pump and how it works to try to troubleshoot it. The fuel pumps in our bikes are not like those in fuel injected bikes. Those pruduce high pressure/volume for the injectors. Ours is a solinoid type of pump. It works by receiving a pulse signal via the contacts in the Fuel Cut Relay from the same signal that goes to one of the Ignition Coils. If you put your hand on the fuel pump while the bike is running, you can feel the pulses. You feel them more if you turn the fuel petcock off. This has the effect of reducing the amount of fuel the pump can draw in. This allows the the internal solinoid to fire more often. When the engine speed is slow, so is the fuel flow. Subsequently, the resistance the pump feels is high and you"ll only feel a couple of clicks of the solinoid per second.

Feeling while engine running.
Name:  DSC03252.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  36.7 KB

One of the advantages of having 2 F3"s is the ability to compare the 2 bikes. On my F3 there is a very consistant click or pulse every second. Where as my wifes F3 may go as long as 20 or 30 seconds between clicks while idling.

The voltage signals remain constant to the fuel pump the entire time. Checking the voltage going to the pump is a little tough because it doesn"t receive a continious supply of voltage. Remember that it is receiving the same on/off signal that one of the ignition coils receives. Because of this, you"ll only read about 6 to 8 volts DC going to the fuel pump. I compared both bikes and they get the same. In fact, if you have a meter that is able to measure Hz, its getting about 20hz or 20 signals per second. (sorry, I was just currious)

The bottom line is that I can feel the operation of the fuel pump and its not consistant in it"s operation. I"m very sure that her fuel pump is getting weak, or possibly binding internally. Letting it sit for a few minutes allows it to free up and start working again.
I"ll be ordering a new pump tonight. I"ll let you know how it does.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:12 PM

How much is the fuel pump?

Old 06-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

It will be about $107 plus shipping from ServiceHonda. Retail is about $150 which is what the local dealer quoted me today.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:27 AM

Yep, those mysterious fuel gremlins! My first 98 F3 would made an audible sound when ign. switch was turned on. When running, with the fuel shut off for a few seconds, it would really "click" when trying to pump. My `97 (same color as your ladie`s)F3 made no such noises, ever, and it was the problematic one. I bought all new stuff from my Honda dealer, and that cured the problem. Our latest `98 Smokin Joes makes no sounds, like the `97, and is fine and dandy. It has 52,000km on it and the `97 had 78,000km on it. Perhaps these pumps can have intermittent woes, even if the tip over relay is fine. Hmmmm!

Old 06-29-2008, 11:50 AM

SO if your turn the starter button to the on position an the fuel pump clicks alot what dos this mean? is it good or bad?

Old 06-29-2008, 12:44 PM

Well, I am no expert, but it sounds to me that the pump is having a hard time building up the meagre pressure needed. It probably isn`t because the feed source (petcock, fuel filter) is poor, but the pump itself is on it`s way out. Just my take, but I could very wrong. be wrong.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:25 PM

Sounds like i need a dam pump thanks

Old 06-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: SilverF3

SO if your turn the starter button to the on position an the fuel pump clicks alot what dos this mean? is it good or bad?
By the starter button, Im guessing that you"re talking about pressing the Starter button, not turning on the ignition with the key right ? Feeling a clicking or hearing a clicking sound is how it works. As I mentioned before, it receives electrical pulses, which in turn energizes the solinoid in the pump. A solinoid is a pull/release type of motion. When power is applied, it pulls. When power is removed, it releases. This pull/release motion generates the pumping action. Once it generates a little pressure, the clicking motion or sound drops to a fewor a couple of clicks every couple of seconds. If yours is clicking all the time the engine is running and never stops, then I would suspect it is not generating enough pressure, which is not saying much. By there nature, these pumps don"t generate much pressure at all.

I did a little checking on the Fuel Cut Relay. It simply is a normal relay. When the Ignition Key switch is turned on, the relay energizes. It is always on unless the engine stop switch is turned off or naturally if the key is turned off. I took the relay out of its rubber mount while the enging was running. I tipped the relay in all different directions and the fuel pump continued to pump away. Many bikes these days do have a tilt relay to cut power to the fuel pump and ignition. Fuel injected engines need high pressure fuel lines to supply the injectors so they can spray fuel. Having high pressure fuel pumping after an accident along with a cut fuel line would be a serious hazzard. On fuel injected bikes, the fuel pump is an electric motor that provides the high pressure to the injectors.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:30 PM

Well this is what mine is doing, With the ignition on and the start button to the run position , the fuel pump clicks and clicks, the tanks only has a gallon or two in italso, o the bike is not running either when this is all happening. waiting for some part to get her running unless its this fuel problem. [:@]

Quick Reply: Fuel pump woes