CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Fuel Pump question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump question...

Ok here goes:

1997 F3

I had a battery problem before, but replaced and charged it -- no problems there.

Rode for roughly 60-100 miles in 2 weeks, while riding the bike cuts out on the road, and have to pull over.

Take her home, battery is dead. Re-charged -- but idling rough, and about to cut out when I give it gas.

I tap the fuel pump with a screw driver -- and it completely solves the problem.

If I have to do this, is this meaning my fuel pump is dying? or could there be some kind of connection problem inside the plastic covering on the fuel pump? Is my dying fuel pump draining my brand new battery?

Thanks guys, you all are a big help when I have questions!

Old 12-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you've got 2 issues going here. Fuel pump issue (possible) and electrical charging issue (probable). Fuel pump shouldn't be draining your battery. I guess a massive short to ground could cause both an intermittent function and battery drain. But I'd not bet on it.

Diagnose your electrical system before working on the fuel pump. If the wrong voltage is flowing through your system, it can cause the pump to work intermittently. And the bike can run without a fuel pump (you'd lose higher performance).

Edit
http://www.electrosport.com/technica...ding-guide.php
pretty good resource for diagnosing charging systems

Old 12-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Old 12-22-2009, 08:56 AM

sounds more like this is my problem intiractive!

i appreciate it!

Old 12-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Drewsive
sounds more like this is my problem intiractive!

i appreciate it!
I think you are right. When the pump's coil is energized it moves a piston that moves a diaphragm or plunger that pushes the fuel. Upon exciting the coil, the piston moves and points are opened killing the power to the coil letting the piston go back to rest closing the points and the cycle is repleted.

I think your points are sticking in the closed position draining the battery. When you knock on the pump it frees them and you are off and running again. You don't have long before the pump fails you totally.It sounds to me that the point are badly pitted and arching, causing the sticking.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Kuro, it sounds like you have seperate issues going on.

I think in your previous thread Idodirt suggesting checking your fuel pump contacts. Did you ever check them? I think you might want to...

Also, I don't think that charging issue is related. Sounds more like your fuel pump is cutting out, not that it's running constantly. I think you've got a failure in your charging system and that your old battery was not the problem, but the symptom of a problem. First places to look are stator and R/R and checking the drain on your battery.

+1 on the charging system checks Kuro suggested.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If everything is healthy in the charging system, the stator should easily be able to provide enough power to charge the battery and run everything electrical while the engine is running (for example, mine does all that + run / charge my bike's alarm + run the bike's LEDs / remote receiver). For the battery to die during a ride, something in the charging system is not working.

Again, I'd guess a massive short in the pump could suck off all the power from the stator. I'd also imagine a short like that in the fuel pump would have a couple side effects:
  • Electrical arcing
  • Explosion (we are talking about an arc in / around something pushing gas around)

Pump might be bad. But I'd guess either the r/r is gone (probable) or the stator (hopefully not)

Old 12-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Sounds like you've got 2 issues going here. Fuel pump issue (possible) and electrical charging issue (probable).
Kuroshio hit it right on the head ! The symptoms that Drewsive is describing are the 2 most common problems that happen the the F3's. Bad R/R and a bad Fuel Pump. Amazingly they produce some strikingly similar symptoms.... won't start, dies while riding down the road, or leaves you stranded.

Drewsive, you need to take some of the suggestions that you've received from the multiple posts and start doing some checking.

What is the voltage reading on your battery when idling, then at 3k rpm, and then 5k rpm ?

What's the condition of the contacts on your fuel pump ? Take off one screw and you can answer this question.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Idodirt is the resident F3 pro and you'd be very wise to take the advice he's given you in multiple threads now...

Old 12-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
Kuroshio hit it right on the head ! The symptoms that Drewsive is describing are the 2 most common problems that happen the the F3's. Bad R/R and a bad Fuel Pump. Amazingly they produce some strikingly similar symptoms.... won't start, dies while riding down the road, or leaves you stranded.

Drewsive, you need to take some of the suggestions that you've received from the multiple posts and start doing some checking.

What is the voltage reading on your battery when idling, then at 3k rpm, and then 5k rpm ?

What's the condition of the contacts on your fuel pump ? Take off one screw and you can answer this question.
Whether or not the problems are related, my point about the pump is that it is not long for this world. If you need to tap on the pump to get it to work, the points need to be looked at before going for a ride or you may find yourself pushing the bike home.

If there is a charging problem, the loss of voltage could effect how the pumps works. To low of a voltage could also ruin the pump.

I agree with checking the voltage of the battery when the bike is off and then while it is running. If the points were sticking closed, you would think that it would pop a fuse, I have had this happen and it did not pop the fuse.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump question...