CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Fuel Petcock Valve

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i tried to find those nipples on a diagram but none have it, i have a Cali bike. but I wouldn't think that would change the air box design. you can also just use a vacuum plug, available at auto parts stores for a buck or so. I've seen people use screws that are slightly larger than the hose's inner diameter, but that's not a guaranteed seal. I'll see if i can snap a quick picture of those nipples on my bike for you...

Old 10-22-2009, 02:22 PM

The canister keeps fuel fumes from evaporating directly into the atmosphere by circulating them through a charcoal filter, its an emissions thing, but it also allows the gas tank to breath freely in order to not create a vacuum. and a vacuum locked tank is the last thing you want on a Carb'ed bike. LOL. However, disconnecting it wouldn't hurt your bike's performance as long as you don't plug up the connections under the tank, but I wouldn't recommend it, you may find your gas won't last long, especially in TX due to evaporation.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:37 PM

oops, didn't see idodirt's reply, he is correct, that is for the CA only, i didn't read the page before it on my manual. ha ha.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by espelade
I've seen people use screws that are slightly larger than the hose's inner diameter, but that's not a guaranteed seal.
There is a line that has a crew in it like you mentioned. I have no idea what it goes to. I've tried to follow it but it goes down under the battery area and I lose track of it.

I'll see if i can snap a quick picture of those nipples on my bike for you...
That would help a lot. Thank you.

If i can get a picture of it I'll post it so you can see my delima. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:02 AM

as long as you don't plug up the connections under the tank, but I wouldn't recommend it, you may find your gas won't last long, especially in TX due to evaporation.
What are connections under the tank are you referring to? There are two nipples at the front end of the tank, but had nothing connected to them when I originally took the tank off.

It sounds like I'm going to need to find a better manual to figure this out. I got one off the internet but the pictures are kind of hard to see. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the manual? (for free preferably haha)

Old 10-23-2009, 11:03 AM

I have a PDF of the service manual I can email you. the nipples on my tank are at the rear 9nearest to the seat) one larger one smaller but again, I have a Cali model, so I'm probably not much help....

Old 10-25-2009, 08:07 AM

That will at least help me identify what lines I need to close off. I believe the individual I bought the bike from may have attempted to do the repairs himself and didn't connect all the lines back correctly.

My email is Weidenheft@gmail.com

Thanks

Old 10-25-2009, 04:57 PM

Just sent you two emails, one of the compressed Zip format of the manual, and the other of the un-zipped PDF just in case.. hope those work!

Old 10-25-2009, 05:02 PM

can you post some pictures of what you have on your bike? I'll try to post a few when i get to work tomorrow, i left my camera there....

Old 10-25-2009, 05:04 PM

both emails gave me an error message. just go to http://www.stephygee.com/ in the lower left corner (after the long intro) there are links to the PDF versions of the manual. That will probably be faster...

Quick Reply: Fuel Petcock Valve