CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Fuel Petcock Valve

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Petcock Valve

I have a 97 f3 and had some issues with the petcock valve so I purchased another. Apparently I bought the '98 petcock valve. The '97 has a vac line (It may not be a "vac" line) its a second smaller line that goes into it from the side and the '98 does not. Does anyone have a fix for this or ideas on how to modify the placement of the lines? Or do I need to go get a new valve (It may not be a "vac" line, its a second smaller line that goes into it from the side.) Any help would be great.

It also may be that the owner of the bike put the wrong valve on the bike. If that is the case, where does the second smaller hose connect? There are two "breather" stems coming from the front end of the tank. Could this be where the line goes?

The picture is of the petcock I bought. Is this the correct one?

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Petcock Valve-cbr026.jpg  
Old 10-21-2009, 04:15 PM

my 95 is the same as the one pictured. just a fuel line coming off mine.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:19 PM

does the one you're replacing have the switch on it also? or does it just have the "vac" line? I know the F2's had a vacuum controlled petcock valve, the F3 switched to the manual switch type. . . . As for the breather hoses the larger one goes to open air mine comes out near my shift linkage, the smaller goes to the Evap canister on the bottom of the bike in front of the rear tire. see "Tube No. 1" in this image...Name:  vacuum.jpg
Views: 10758
Size:  58.1 KB

Old 10-21-2009, 04:21 PM

There was another smaller line going into the petcock valve. That's the one I don't know what to do with?

Old 10-21-2009, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by espelade
does the one you're replacing have the switch on it also? or does it just have the "vac" line? I know the F2's had a vacuum controlled petcock valve, the F3 switched to the manual switch type.
The second hose I'm talking about connects to the motor just under the carbs and connected to the smaller insert on the petcock. Its not the breather hose that you mentioned, that hose is way to big to fit the insert on the petcock valve.

edit: and yes it does have the switch.

Last edited by Weidenheft; 10-21-2009 at 04:32 PM. Reason: clearing a point
Old 10-21-2009, 04:31 PM

can you trace back to where it is plugged into? Does your original one have the switch too?

Old 10-21-2009, 04:39 PM

if it connects below the carbs then its probably the vacuum style petcock off the F2's. I would just plug it off and install the new petcock. There should be three small nipples on the bottom side of the air box near where the petcock sits when the tank is on, these are for the vacuum tubes used for sync'ing the carbs, plug that hose onto one of those. easy fix.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

does the one you're replacing have the switch on it also? or does it just have the "vac" line? I know the F2's had a vacuum controlled petcock valve, the F3 switched to the manual switch type. . . . As for the breather hoses the larger one goes to open air mine comes out near my shift linkage, the smaller goes to the Evap canister on the bottom of the bike in front of the rear tire. see "Tube No. 1" in this image...

This page is showing a California model bike, not the 49 State version. He probably doesn't have a Evap Canister. If the one he's got has more than one connection on it, then it's the wrong one for that bike. The 97 and 98 had one petcock (3 modifications over time) and the differences had nothing to do with California. The one in the picture is the correct one. (without the rust)

Old 10-21-2009, 10:04 PM

if it connects below the carbs then its probably the vacuum style petcock off the F2's. I would just plug it off and install the new petcock. There should be three small nipples on the bottom side of the air box near where the petcock sits when the tank is on, these are for the vacuum tubes used for sync'ing the carbs, plug that hose onto one of those. easy fix.

Awesome, ill try that and see if it works. I'll let you know what happens. I appreciate everyone's input

Old 10-21-2009, 10:44 PM

So i went and attempted to take that smaller tube and attach it under the airbox. I cannot find one of the three nipples you are referring to. Can you show me a diagram? (Does anyone have a diagram of the 49 State Bike?) Also, is there anyway to just remove the evap canister without modifying the bike? I'm in Texas so there's no need for it unless its required for the bike to run.

Quick Reply: Fuel Petcock Valve