CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Fresh Asphalt + Kick Stand + Hot Sun = Bad Juju

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes i took the stator cover off and found that the idler gear is jammed on the flywheel. Pretty sure the journal behind the idler gear is broken along with the other half of the journal on the cover. Im looking for a new motor for it.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

^^^^ This is exactly the problem I found inside of my cover tonight. Bought a 92 and working on restoring it. Tested the starter by hooking it up to a battery for a couple quick jolts. Pulled the cover and found this. What needs to be done to fix this? I already ordered a new cover and I am assuming that my generator piece is still good. Do I need to replace any of the gears? A quick inspection didnt show any irregular wear and the pin looked good. Is it as simple as sticking the pin and gears into the new cover and bolting the stator in?

When you say new motor do you mean new engine? If the journal behind it is ****ed up is it unfixable?

Also sorry for the thread jack but with the starter attached to its cables and the battery hooked to the bike the starter wouldn't turn, no power getting to it. 10A IGN, STR fuse is good so it must be the switch or solenoid and I can test this by bypassing the solenoid?

Edit:
After a ton of searching online I have found a few people who have either welded themselves or brought to a professional welder and welded the pin flowing the new metal around the pin, welding it into place, the cover would then seat over the pin if done correctly, fixing the problem for a lot less then the ton of money it would cost to replace the case.

How can I get the idler gear off to inspect my case? its kinda jammed in there with the flywheel. This kinda sucks... a lot...

Last edited by smith.p.sean; 04-27-2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:14 AM

where is the jammage in the first picture... i see the broken part in the second picture but nothing looks wrong with the first one to me

Old 04-27-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Michaud85
where is the jammage in the first picture... i see the broken part in the second picture but nothing looks wrong with the first one to me
You see how the stator motor isnt hooked onto the gear which is pushing into the engine case on the right side?

Old 04-27-2010, 10:01 AM

sux bro, i still carry a small peice of ply-wood in my trunk. your not the olny one bro, good luck fixin.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:14 PM

Update: Removed the starter clutch and sure enough the journal behind it is ****ed up. Gonna see about getting it welded. Alternatively it looks like its just high enough that I could drill through the case behind the journal without going into the rest of the engine and fabricate something with the new cover to assist.

Last edited by smith.p.sean; 04-28-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by smith.p.sean
Update: Removed the starter clutch and sure enough the journal behind it is ****ed up. Gonna see about getting it welded. Alternatively it looks like its just high enough that I could drill through the case behind the journal without going into the rest of the engine and fabricate something with the new cover to assist.
I was thinking of doing the same thing, however, be careful. That's a lot of trq behind that thing, and if your rig up breaks, that gear could come flying out the case, and that could be your leg. I've seen flywheels smash through peoples hood's, and if it can break out of the trans housing, and smash a hood in, then, it's a possibility that the same thing could happen with this little starting gear. Be careful bro.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by SuperCivic
I was thinking of doing the same thing, however, be careful. That's a lot of trq behind that thing, and if your rig up breaks, that gear could come flying out the case, and that could be your leg. I've seen flywheels smash through peoples hood's, and if it can break out of the trans housing, and smash a hood in, then, it's a possibility that the same thing could happen with this little starting gear. Be careful bro.
Also i feel the problem about the rig up breaking but... we have both already seen that with the super strong factory parts (rolls eyes at ****ty casing)... and my flywheel is still intact as well as yours So the damage that occurred from the factory parts wasn't severe and I cant imagine it being any worse than that with an attempted fix.
If I didnt feel confident that I could make it at least as strong as original I would not attempt. And lets say it does blow out the side of the engine after I ride and use it for a while... I put off having to replace the damn engine for that long over a starter

Steel bolt over aluminium casting FTW! Why the hell did Honda make the pin stronger than the supports that hold it. The pin is only freaking 6.98 or something stupid cheap. I woulda preferred a tin foil pin that just crumpled instead of breaking my engine case.

I think this rig up is actually going to be stronger than the origional journals. Heres my plan and I will document it with pictures and a guide.

You will need a tap, a grinder, to remove the threads from the bolt and a new cover.

1. I will drill a hole through the engine case journal to the starter bay.
2. Then from the starter bay side, I will tap the hole for a bolt (not sure on the size yet but I want it to barely fit inside of the pin with the threads ground off. So all but maybe 1/4 of an inch at the very head of the bolt is ground off and circular.
3. This 1/4 inch will then be bolted into the case with blue locktite (just incase i really gotta remove it) from the starter bay side with a crush washer to prevent oil leakage.
4. The pin will slide over this (I want it like a bearing race forced over the bolt) and into the remaining journal on the engine side for perfect alignment.
5. The bolt will be cut to be just long enough to sit snug against the cover when its fully tightened, strongly supporting the pin and the bolt.

I need to be sure that the bolt head doesnt interfere with the starter clearance.

Ideas, yays nays? anything appreciated. There is also enough room to drill straight through the cover and through the engine side but I am unsure how to mount the gears up this way while putting the cover on.

This is gonna take a fair bit of work but easily accomplished in an hour and a few beers, but the hardest part will be tapping that hole from the inside of the starter bay because there isnt a lot of room in there or clearance between the case and where the journal sits.

Last edited by smith.p.sean; 04-30-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:52 PM

dont be all hating honda for something made in the mid 90's when its YOU who let YOUR bike tip over. not honda fault you parked on soft blacktop

Quick Reply: Fresh Asphalt + Kick Stand + Hot Sun = Bad Juju