CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Floating Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floating Shifter

Hey Guys,
I've been lurking around this site for months and finally registered. I admire everyone's information, input, and wisdom. I've got a problem shifting down. When I'm cruising in 6th gear and I have time to slowly decelerate for a light or something... all I do is let off the throttle and coast towards the light (I'm in no rush to stop and put my feet down). Then, when I try to shift down with my rpm's real low (~2,000) my transmission gets stuck in between gears. Note: I am not stopped when this is happening, I am simply riding about 20 mph in 6th gear. From 6th I will click down for 5th but nothing hooks up. I try over and over again, attempting to shift both up and down, but it never comes out of this 'floating' position until I let the clutch out. When I do, the transmission makes a rough clank and finds its way into a gear (very unpleasant and different from a Neutral-to-1st sound with a slight jolt). I never have this problem when I downshift at higher rpm's. Is this a genuine problem or should I simply avoiding downshifting at low rpm's? Thanks for the time and I appreciate any information I can get.
-SixHundo

Old 05-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most wet clutch multi's don't like having to change down from a high gear(s) when your stopped, you can have more success blipping the throttle as you change down.
Its the same as trying to move up to a higher gear when the bike is resting (stopped), it can be done, but to honest, ain't real good for your gearbox (crunching sound is it protesting). Just practice the down shift as your coming to a stop, it may even save your **** one day, imagine trying to get out of a potential situation & no matter how good you are, there is no way your going to move real fast from an almost or complete stop with your bike in 5th or 6th gear.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by pacemaker
Most wet clutch multi's don't like having to change down from a high gear(s) when your stopped, you can have more success blipping the throttle as you change down.
Its the same as trying to move up to a higher gear when the bike is resting (stopped), it can be done, but to honest, ain't real good for your gearbox (crunching sound is it protesting). Just practice the down shift as your coming to a stop, it may even save your **** one day, imagine trying to get out of a potential situation & no matter how good you are, there is no way your going to move real fast from an almost or complete stop with your bike in 5th or 6th gear.
Thanks Pacemaker

Old 05-13-2009, 09:04 PM

most wet clutch multi's don't like having to change down from a high gear(s) when your stopped, you can have more success blipping the throttle as you change down.

+1

sirr1

Old 05-13-2009, 09:50 PM

1+ And also if i can add, Clutches are ran off presure, at such high gear and low speeds equal low pressure and causing shifting to become hard. Same as in a manual car, you dont even need your clutch in to shift gears at certain rpms