CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

First cbr have some questions....

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011 | 06:43 PM
|
Default First cbr have some questions....

hey guys i bought my first street bike recently it's a 95 honda cbr 600 F3 i've been around dirtbikes, atv, trucks and cars most my life but always wanted to try out a street biek so here i am lol. couple things i would like to know...

does anyone know where i an download the owners manual for it? i already downloaded the service manual but would like to find the owners manual aswell.

and second.. i just got it home recently, haven't had much time to do anything to it parently it's in awesome shape and runs fine from what i was told and seen. well got it home and got it running but it bogs when i really rev it up.. theres gas in it but not much haven't even had time to put any in lol. could that cause it? also gas in the tank looked cloudy... and there was some paint debris around the inside lip of the tank... wondering if any could have gotton in and through the gas..

also what type of gas is recomended for these bikes? 87 ocatane? or should i use 91??

and last i think it's the gas shut off... it;s a **** on the side of the bike and has 3 settings but i not sure which is which as the plastics have been painted....

Old 08-20-2011 | 04:32 AM

If it's been standing try new fuel first but it's likely the carbs need cleaning. You may get away with just fitting new jets but it's going to be a fault finding exercise if new fuel doesn't cure it. What do you mean "when I really rev it up"? You're not bouncing off the limiter are you?

Old 08-20-2011 | 05:13 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2

Drain the tank, rinse it throughly with some low-flash point solvent like kerosene.
Check the vent and overflow tubes for obstruction while you've got it empty, as well.
I use 91 octane for my F3. Check/replace the fuel-filter while you're at it, too.
Then re-fill with fresh gas and run a couple of tanks with Seafoam added to help clean the carbs.

The petcock valve at the bottom is down for ON, horizontal for OFF and up for Reserve.

Save yourself some trouble and check out the voltage regulator/rectifier for
heat signs (i.e. melted/warped plastic and/or burnt pins on the connector).
This is a traditional weak-point on the CBR's.

Welcome and hope this helps, Ern

Old 08-20-2011 | 10:17 AM
|

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
Drain the tank, rinse it throughly with some low-flash point solvent like kerosene.
Check the vent and overflow tubes for obstruction while you've got it empty, as well.
I use 91 octane for my F3. Check/replace the fuel-filter while you're at it, too.
Then re-fill with fresh gas and run a couple of tanks with Seafoam added to help clean the carbs.

The petcock valve at the bottom is down for ON, horizontal for OFF and up for Reserve.

Save yourself some trouble and check out the voltage regulator/rectifier for
heat signs (i.e. melted/warped plastic and/or burnt pins on the connector).
This is a traditional weak-point on the CBR's.

Welcome and hope this helps, Ern

thanks man that helps me alot!

at first the bike wasn't reving past 5000 rpm so i threw some fuel in this mornign just a bit of 87 octane she was still boggin at 4 - 5000 rpm so shut it off waited started it up again and she revs great now! has a quick little hesistation when you first crack the throttle open but like i said it's a very qucik hesitation.. don't know if it's soemthing to even worry about.

when i get soem time today or tommorow im going to remove the tank drain it / flush it, check fuel filter and whatnot..

thanks guys.

Old 08-20-2011 | 04:13 PM

P.S. If your vent and/or over-flow is blocked DO NOT use compressed air with the
gas-cap CLOSED!! You will ballon your gas-tank and be VERY un-happy.
Be sure the gas cap is not shut and you are fine using air.

Luck, Ern

Old 08-20-2011 | 04:47 PM
Banned

The two tubes below the tank are the overflow and vent. The small one is the vent. If you can blow in it with no obstruction it's good.
If it's blocked it can cause vacuum problems.

Old 08-21-2011 | 03:17 PM
|

alright was working on it a bit today and was wondering about the fuel pump.... how can i tell if it's working properly?? i DON'T hear a whining sound when starting the bike...

Old 08-21-2011 | 05:55 PM
|

alright got soem more done and found that there is no power at all going to the fuel pump. i attached the pump right to the battery and works like a charm. now! somewhere in the wiring the power to the fuel pump is getting cut off..

Old 08-22-2011 | 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy_guy
alright got soem more done and found that there is no power at all going to the fuel pump. i attached the pump right to the battery and works like a charm. now! somewhere in the wiring the power to the fuel pump is getting cut off..

Don't take my word but i remember coming across another thread concerning the fuel pump and if i recall, when you turn the key to ON it turns on fuel pump on for a second or maybe not but then once it's running the fuel pump is turned on.

Hope thats some help, don't want ya chasing down a wire for nothing.

Old 08-23-2011 | 05:24 AM

There is a relay to the pump under the seat. when the ignition is turned on it runs
for a few seconds and primes the bowls. After that, I believe it is triggered by ignition demand. It does not run continuiosly. There is at least one thread that goes into
the diagnostics of the fuel pump. Check both the How-to as well as the specific F3
sections for fuel pump/priming threads.

Hope this helps, Ern

Quick Reply: First cbr have some questions....