CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Finally finished putting the Hong Kong Repsol Fairings on my F3 (pix inside)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally finished putting the Hong Kong Repsol Fairings on my F3 (pix inside)

OK cheeseburgers!

After about 9 months of waiting for winter to be over and painting wheels and the tank, mounting tires, drilling, and bolting everything back together - I'm finally done with my little Repsol project.

I am actually very pleased with how it all turned out.

Here are the pics of the fairings I got off ebay on the bike (sorry some of them are kinda blurry):

Dang - sorry the pix are so huge... I'll see what I can do to shrink them a little.

SoI ran into afew snags with the fairings:

1. The side tail pieces were a pretty good fit, but the required me bending the stock tabs when the little mountingpostgoes into the rubber grommet-hole. No biggie.

2. The side tail pieces don't really fit together with the middle tail piece so there is a little gap where the three pieces come together. Again, no big deal.

3. I experienced a little bit of melting of the fairing right where the header runs along the very bottom of the bike and the fairing is practically touching the pipe. I bought some 3M foil tape andstuck it to the inside of thefairing right by the pipe and there has not been any more melting.The melting is not even noticable. I could just smell the hot plastic in the garage after Ihad ridden it.

Yes, I have found (as some of you have as well that have purchased the hong kongers) that the paint is very very delicate.What I mean is that it will chip off very VERY easily. Like they didn't use primer and painted directly onto plastic. So if you do happen to scratch it, it is most likely going tocome off in big chips. So it will be a matter of making absolutely sure it doesn't get scratched (which is how we should all treat our bikes anyway, right?).

So some of you have asked me what kind and color code paint I used on the wheels and tank. It isn't an exact match, but I bought some orange spray paint off the rack at Menards called Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel - color is "Safety Orange". I tried a number of different oranges off the shelf and this one matched the best. It is kind of a chrome-looking can with anorange top.

So you can actually get a decent looking paint job out of a spray can, just remember to use 4000 grit wet-sand paper (with soapy water) after each coat driesandyou'll end up with a nice smooth finish (you won't believeitcamefroma spray paint can).

I didn't even clear coat mine. Just used some car paint polish on it after I was done wet-sanding.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Default RE: Finally finished putting the Hong Kong Repsol Fairings on my F3 (pix inside)

Love it. Feeling the orange. LOL

Old 06-26-2008, 11:14 PM
Default RE: Finally finished putting the Hong Kong Repsol Fairings on my F3 (pix inside)

Looks sick man. Very nice and clean, I like it.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:14 PM

Well it looks really nice, but there is only so much spray cans can do. They can look nice, yes but they dont hold up very well. Gas will probably melt it off, the places by your legs will wear fairly fast, and it nicks and scratches pretty easily. I'd say if that starts happening, find yourself a nice 2 part paint and a spray gun and do it with some better quality stuff.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, i've just had some bad experiences (can you tell) in the past and am trying to spread my trial by error knowledge.

It does look good though.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:26 PM

Yeah I'm not sure if the paint will fade or not. I'm actually not planning on hanging on to the bike so I'm ok with the low-cost alternative

Old 06-26-2008, 11:31 PM

In case anyone is wondering, here's the before picture:

Wsh I'd have taken one with the hashed out fairings that came on it.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:53 AM

looks great...nice work..i see it finally stopped snowing in minnesota..lol

Old 06-27-2008, 09:39 AM

Looks real good man! I remember asking you about that rim color, turned out real good. I think that I'm ditching out on the Repsol plastic that I bought. $160+ in paint supplies, I'm gonna be keeping my OEM mix match and making it all black.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:27 PM

Thanks Northern! What are you saying? You have some hong kong plastics up for sale? What kind of paint did you get?

Got someone coming to look at the bike tomorrow at noon, so I might not have it that much longer...

Old 06-27-2008, 01:59 PM

That's the onlyway to make money, keep her lookin fresh. I got some brand from a local auto parts place. He mixed me up some flexable/sandable primer and some gloss black. I'm only makin the bike look good because my SO wants to ride and doesn't seem to like my mult color scheme LOL.

Gonna powder coat the rims red, and I'm thinkin of doing the engine covers to match. I better have pics in the next two weeks to show off because I've been messin with this **** for well over a month already!

Good luck with the sale

Quick Reply: Finally finished putting the Hong Kong Repsol Fairings on my F3 (pix inside)