CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Fairing Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fairing Noise

Hello

Have any of you guys had problems with fairing vibration noises? Its comming from the front fairings and sometimes while driving i can put my hand on the windscreen and make it go away.

Is really annoying... Anyone have a solution for this?

Old 10-12-2009, 07:22 AM

have you just tried tightening every bolt you can see?

Old 10-12-2009, 09:24 AM

i get this sometimes on my 98 F3, i think it comes from the pieces that cover the front sub frame where the mirrors go. I just tightened the screw on both sides and it goes away. But it is bumpy in the south of france and comes back when i hit big pot holes. lol

Old 10-12-2009, 12:57 PM

Rubber washers between fasteners works great for me.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:19 AM

Thanks guys. I've tried tightening all the screws but the noise is still there... Im thinking about buying som rubber band to put on the windscreen where it touches the other plastic parts.

I suspect that the windscreen on it is an aftermarket one that does not fit perfectly

Old 10-20-2009, 01:39 AM
Default me too...

I have the same problem...mines original and all the screws/bolts are tight! But if I let this bother me, I'd never stop tinkling around with my '95...

Old 10-20-2009, 03:22 AM

It does bother me quite alot and i need to get it fixed somehow

Old 10-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does it from time to time as well in what sounds like the same place as yours -- the plastic pieces attached to the arms opposite the mirror mounts. The PO of my bike had some scotch tape around the tabs on the plastic pieces but I would think a bit of rubber strip or thin weather-strip would take care of it nicely. (Assuming its the same culprit as what I've had)

Old 10-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckbear
Mine does it from time to time as well in what sounds like the same place as yours -- the plastic pieces attached to the arms opposite the mirror mounts. The PO of my bike had some scotch tape around the tabs on the plastic pieces but I would think a bit of rubber strip or thin weather-strip would take care of it nicely. (Assuming its the same culprit as what I've had)

Make sure that the 2 covers are actually sitting correctly, if you look where they are placed, you will see a metal tang at the bottom of were the cover goes in, I bent mine slightly for a firmer fit. There is (or should be) a small piece of foam rubber on the bottom of the cover where it goes into the tang, I replaced this with a thicker/denser foam.
Be careful tightening the screws of the covers, its very easy to over do it & round out the hole of the screw housing & is a bugger to replace.

Also, any vibration coming from the fairing, will travel up to the screen, where you hear it.
There are lots of bits below that will vibrate at certain RPM's, fer instance the two curved pieces of plastic left & right, that you can see when you look down into the fairing from the bars. I had to put foam behind those to stop them driving me nuts. Even the bloody cover for the fuse's now has a rubber washer in place. Also check the access for headlight bulb replacement (front of the bike under the headlight, bottom of faring) another "suspect" in search of a quite ride. It's trial & error for you to, quicker alternative, get some ear plugs.

Last edited by pacemaker; 10-20-2009 at 05:57 PM.