CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

F4i gauge cluster installed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i gauge cluster installed!

Got my F4i cluster installed today. No temp sender yet so my temps are reading max all the time but I'll take care of that eventually.

This gauge is SO much better than my old cluster. I had a few bulbs out on it so my speeds during night riding were pretty much by estimation and my shifts were by ear. The new cluster is nice and easy to see at night and so much easier to judge speed at a glance. Not to mention it really spruces up the look of the gauge area.

I needed to prototype the gauge mount I made in cad up to see how it fit and looked and I was lacking material so I did a bit of improvising and cut the side out of an old plastic storage box for material, taped a printout of the mount to it and used my band saw to cut it out. Now that I know how that design works I'm going to do a few modifications to it and get it water-jetted out of 1/4" heavy plastic to check the CNC work. If its all good, I'll get some more made out of aluminum and powder-coated or anodized.

Thanks to some creative craigslist work, I've kept my costs really low. Total cost so far:

$30 gauge
$13 gauge shipping
$5 blade connectors (screw these things, If I knew how bad they were I would have started with a different connector or directly soldered them)

Pictures

Before (complete with awful rattle can paint job before I owned the bike)
Name:  P7150026Small.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  53.4 KB

After (still having trouble getting my fairings back on so the inner piece is still not on the right side)
Name:  P7150029Small.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  47.5 KB

Old 07-15-2010, 11:33 PM

Looks really good bro. I cant wait to swap mine out. Let me know what you end up doing with the mounting brackets. Id love to get one off ya. Thanks bro.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:44 PM

I liked how the shape of the one I made today came out but I think I'm going to add some "ears" to the lower edges so that the option is there to mount switches. I have a special micro volt-meter I want somewhere to mount and that will provide a place for it. I also need to shorten up the bottom just a hair. With the thin plastic it was fine but the bottom currently curves up since its a little long. Otherwise the shape and mounting holes were spot-on.

I'll post pictures once I've had time to get one made out of something prettier than storage tub plastic

Old 07-16-2010, 01:28 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iBang
I liked how the shape of the one I made today came out but I think I'm going to add some "ears" to the lower edges so that the option is there to mount switches. I have a special micro volt-meter I want somewhere to mount and that will provide a place for it. I also need to shorten up the bottom just a hair. With the thin plastic it was fine but the bottom currently curves up since its a little long. Otherwise the shape and mounting holes were spot-on.

I'll post pictures once I've had time to get one made out of something prettier than storage tub plastic
ill be adding a volt meter and air/fuel gauge to mine as well as the time comes. ill keep you guys updated on that.

looks nice.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:35 PM
BZL

Looks clean. Wish i would have kept mine

Old 07-19-2010, 12:12 PM

I have the F4I gauges and yes they are so much easier to check speed at a glance. Nice job.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by spicymeowmix
ill be adding a volt meter and air/fuel gauge to mine as well as the time comes. ill keep you guys updated on that.

looks nice.
dude dont forget to post up the how-to on the volt meter and the fuel guage i would love you forever.. maybe just for a little while xD

Old 07-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VALKYIE
I have the F4I gauges and yes they are so much easier to check speed at a glance. Nice job.
valk, is your bike still as sick looking as ever?
ya know, cough cough i'm still waiting on you to make me some fairings.