CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

F3 spark plug removal ??? - UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F3 spark plug removal ??? - UPDATE

I tried to remove the spark plugs this weekend, just to check their condition because I have no idea how old they are - I bought the bike last September with 22k miles, I'm now up to 29k.

Anyway, according to the Clymer manual, I should be able to get access to the spark plugs from the sides. But there's no way I can get the plug wrench to reach plugs 2 and 3 without removing the air filter box and the duct that leads into it. - there's just not enough clearance. I'm using a used toolkit I bought on ebay that might be for a 954 or something, so is it possible that this is the problem and if I had the right plug wrench that it would fit?

Thanks

FOLLOW UP: Thanks everyone for your advice. I just took a hacksaw and sawed off about 1/2 inch of the plug wrench. I was able to get it into the spark plug tunnels, and still grab it with the socket. There still wasn't enough clearance to get the wrench out with the plug inside it, so I jiggled it around until I got the spark plug to drop out, and then grabbed it with the spark plug wire to fish it out.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F3 spark plug removal ???

Yes you can reach it from the sides with the plug too that orgionaly came with the bike. You need to remove the side fairings and the raditor. I suggest removing the airbox and getting the plugs from the top. Its easyer to unscrew a few things and pull out a few hoses then trying to get it from the sides.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:03 PM

If you have the right tool there should be no need to remove anything other than the two inspection panels, you should be able to leave the radiator on.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:33 PM

I have no experence with F3

Old 07-30-2007, 04:21 PM

i can get the side two out easily i haven't tried to get the others out.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:34 PM

ORIGINAL: madmike01uk

If you have the right tool there should be no need to remove anything other than the two inspection panels, you should be able to leave the radiator on.
exactly.

I bought the stock tool kit for my 95. everything is easy when your using the factory tools. Remove the 2 side panels, thats all.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:57 PM

You can do it without removing anything but the side panels. You can use a regular spark plug socket and an extention. I would also try a universal or "wobble" extention. I've done it many times to my F3. Worst case it just takes you a while.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:49 AM

Yes it can be done with a tube socket and a extension.(with a lot of patiences). O yes and keep the first aid kit ready for all the cuts your gonna get from the radiator. Bye the tube socket cause it's a very good investment.
No the factory one only works for the outside ones unless you strip the whole bike or your double jointed.
Actually I can't think of any instance where I could use the factory tool kit for any thing useful
Apparently your not suppose to do maintenance on Hondas next to the road

Old 08-01-2007, 12:15 AM

I dont know I just did mine today and the ram air sits right on top of the center two plugs. I had to lower the radiator and remove the ram air to access the 2 and 3 plugs.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:40 PM

Thank you for asking that question because now i am doing it tomorrow lol.... Thanks

Quick Reply: F3 spark plug removal ??? - UPDATE