CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

F3 doesn't want to start

Old 02-16-2017, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F3 doesn't want to start

So I tried starting my beater f3 today and it wouldn't. It started for a brief second on some starter fluid and it backfired quite a bit. I know i have gas and my i had spark but I didn't check today since i check a while ago. Any clues?

Old 02-16-2017, 06:34 PM

was it running if yeah how long has it stood since the last time it run .have u filled it up at a garage u don't normally use . have u drained the carbs to see what the carb fuel is like .have u re gaped your spark plugs

Old 02-16-2017, 07:54 PM

Not sure when the last time it ran was but it had reg for last year, it was filled with some regular gas, do I need premium gas? carbs gas looks fine, I cleaned the carbs not long ago. Didn't check the spark plug gap when i check sparked but could re gap them if needed.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

With the poor gas we have these days, it doesn't take long for it to go bad. You may want to drain the tank and the float bowls. Then add new fresh gas and try that. No you don't need premium. If it's been 4 or 5 months since it has been run, the carburetors can be clogged. The idle ports are really tiny and it doesn't' take much.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:30 AM

s
Originally Posted by IDoDirt
With the poor gas we have these days, it doesn't take long for it to go bad. You may want to drain the tank and the float bowls. Then add new fresh gas and try that. No you don't need premium. If it's been 4 or 5 months since it has been run, the carburetors can be clogged. The idle ports are really tiny and it doesn't' take much.
I cleaned the carbs and added fresh gas before I tried to start, the tank was empty when I got it but I didn't see any rust in the tank. I cleaned the carbs a month ago or so and they saw gas about 2 weeks ago. Everything as far as that go should be clean and fresh.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

It's really unusual for rust from the tank to get into the carburetors. Rust is heavy and is going to sit in the bottom of the tank if there is any. There is a fuel strainer inside the tank that will keep the larger particles from getting through, then the in-line fuel filter usually takes care of the rest. Hows the fuel pump working? Have you confirmed that you have fuel in the bowls (loosen the bowl drain screws to see if fuel comes out)? You can force the Fuel Pump to run by disconnecting the Fuel Cut relay (located toward the rear of the Regulator/Rectifier) and then putting a jumper wire between the Black wire and the Black/Blue wire. The fuel pump will run continuously when the ignition key is turned on as opposed to only while the engine is running. It will stop when it develops enough pressure in the line. This is a good way to prime the bowls after you've worked on the carburetors and you're trying to start the bike for the first time. You don't want to leave it this way and should only be used for diagnostic procedures.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by LemonyGuy
Not sure when the last time it ran was but it had reg for last year, it was filled with some regular gas, do I need premium gas? carbs gas looks fine, I cleaned the carbs not long ago. Didn't check the spark plug gap when i check sparked but could re gap them if needed.
HAHA no when I said about fuel I mean some garages buy cheap dirty fuel which is why bikes suddenly stop running ..when u cleaned your carbs did u also clean the fuel pump and fuel filter as there could be dirty fuel in them ..DID you bench sync the carbs .( setting pilot to factory settings and syncing the butterfly valves ) before u installed them .clean and regap your spark plugs .AND CHECK INSIDE THE SPARK PLUG CAPS THEY GET GUMMED UP ..

Old 02-19-2017, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
It's really unusual for rust from the tank to get into the carburetors. Rust is heavy and is going to sit in the bottom of the tank if there is any. There is a fuel strainer inside the tank that will keep the larger particles from getting through, then the in-line fuel filter usually takes care of the rest. Hows the fuel pump working? Have you confirmed that you have fuel in the bowls (loosen the bowl drain screws to see if fuel comes out)? You can force the Fuel Pump to run by disconnecting the Fuel Cut relay (located toward the rear of the Regulator/Rectifier) and then putting a jumper wire between the Black wire and the Black/Blue wire. The fuel pump will run continuously when the ignition key is turned on as opposed to only while the engine is running. It will stop when it develops enough pressure in the line. This is a good way to prime the bowls after you've worked on the carburetors and you're trying to start the bike for the first time. You don't want to leave it this way and should only be used for diagnostic procedures.
fuel pump is brand new so it should be good, I tested it and know it works. I haven't checked the to see if gas is making into the carb but will today and report back tonight.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel Lunt
HAHA no when I said about fuel I mean some garages buy cheap dirty fuel which is why bikes suddenly stop running ..when u cleaned your carbs did u also clean the fuel pump and fuel filter as there could be dirty fuel in them ..DID you bench sync the carbs .( setting pilot to factory settings and syncing the butterfly valves ) before u installed them .clean and regap your spark plugs .AND CHECK INSIDE THE SPARK PLUG CAPS THEY GET GUMMED UP ..
fuel pump and filter are new, bug I did not adjust the carbs in any way, the guy I bought it from says he had it running great last year so I'm not sure if I want to mess with carbs to much yet. I'll get the plugs out tonight and do that stuff and tell how they looked. Do you know what the gap is or is it just in the manual?

Old 02-20-2017, 11:08 AM

fuel pump and filter are new, bug I did not adjust the carbs in any way, the guy I bought it from says he had it running great last year so I'm not sure if I want to mess with carbs to much yet. I'll get the plugs out tonight and do that stuff and tell how they looked. Do you know what the gap is or is it just in the manual?
fuel pump is brand new so it should be good, I tested it and know it works. I haven't checked the to see if gas is making into the carb but will today and report back tonight.
well the spark gap was fine and the carbs had gas in them, the spark plugs were wet. What about the spark plug wires being swapped or something similar to that. Like I said it only for ran for about 2 seconds and the rest of the time when cranking nothing except a complete backfires. Also sorry I didn't get this info back to you guys last night like i said but it was a beautiful day to put miles in my other bike.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F3 doesn't want to start