CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

engine not cooling

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THANK YOU!!!! I have read his original post several times & at no point did he say anything about MIXING. He did say that the water pump was leaking coolant & oil... I will give you that. The coolant leak is coming from the weep hole which says the mechanical seal is bad. The oil leak is most likely the o-ring that is between the pump & cases. Until cross contamination has been confirmed. K.I.S.S Keep It Simple S&*%$@..... Why would you do these unnecessary checks if the problem is in the pump mounting area & there is no cross contamination??? It will end up costing time & possibly $$$ & time is $$$ in a shop setting. I promise this isn't my 1st rodeo....yee haw!!!!

To the OP make sure the oil looks like oil & not chocolate milk.

Last edited by Project96; 02-21-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:36 PM

Thats exactly what I feel. I dont want to perform unnecessary procedures. A leaking head gasket or a cracked head- wouldnt I see water in the exhause or white smoke or some kind of tell from the exhaust? The bike runs very strong. No sputters, knocks, nothing. Still very responsive.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:11 PM

Yes, coolant smoke will be white, oil smoke will be blue, & fuel (rich condition) will be black in color. If you have a cracked head, you will have running & overheating problems.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:12 PM

It has not overheated yet and it will start right now no problem.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:24 PM

I am by no means telling you what to do or how to do it, but if it was me...I would fix the water pump issue & replace the outer sealing o-ring. That should take care of the leaking coolant & oil. Then make sure there are no more leaks & re-evaluate the cooling issue. Make sure the oil doesn't look like chocolate milk when you change it.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:20 PM

Ok so I couldnt wait any longer. I just pulled the water pump. Looks like the coolant is green and sweet smelling. No traces of oil. Not one drop. The engine oil is a nice translucent amber color.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:33 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Project96
THANK YOU!!!! I have read his original post several times & at no point did he say anything about MIXING. He did say that the water pump was leaking coolant & oil... I will give you that. The coolant leak is coming from the weep hole which says the mechanical seal is bad. The oil leak is most likely the o-ring that is between the pump & cases. Until cross contamination has been confirmed. K.I.S.S Keep It Simple S&*%$@..... Why would you do these unnecessary checks if the problem is in the pump mounting area & there is no cross contamination??? It will end up costing time & possibly $$$ & time is $$$ in a shop setting. I promise this isn't my 1st rodeo....yee haw!!!!

To the OP make sure the oil looks like oil & not chocolate milk.

Did you even read my second post? I get it, and said that in the post about not doing what I said unless it was a mixing problem. I even clarified myself. You have to understand this is about the original topic but there are hundreds of people reading these threads as well regarding their own problems. When posting information and whatever one should always keep this in mind because its these topics that help people each and every day here. I strictly said what I said in regards to the mixture of oil and coolant as just that. I in no way said oh go ahead and do this even though its not mixed together. I took it as that initially because it wasnt clear what he meant, now it is, and was after his second post. Yea, keep it simple, but also keep it thorough and correct. A problem is a problem is a problem. And be it this persons problem, or any other problem, there is a proper way to do it, this is what I was saying, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:16 PM

So once I replace this water pump with a new o ring and gasket, should this fix my overheating issue?

Old 03-01-2014, 10:02 PM

Ok so I replace the pump with a new o-ring and and a new gasket. The bike still heats up. The fan comes on when it gets warm but only for about 5 seconds. Its not on long enough to cool the engine at all. Is the sensor bad for the radiator? Or do I have a thermostat issue?

Old 03-01-2014, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Do all the hoses feel hot? If the the thermostat is stuck closed (making the engine run hot) then the hoses wont feel about the same, heat-wise.

It could be the reason the fan isnt coming on is because the hot coolant isnt getting there, a stuck closed thermostat.

Quick Reply: engine not cooling