CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Electrical: Over 21v+ @ 3000 RPM WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical: Over 21v+ @ 3000 RPM WTF?

Ok, so my headlight died the other night. Likely a voltage spike. We all know that. Today, I decided to take things apart and dig around. I did a voltage test with the bike idling. Got 13.xx volts. So I revved it up to about 3K and noticed around 20(+) volts, then back down to 13 when I let off the gas.

Like some of you mentioned in my headlight popped thread, I'm thinking "stator" is the problem. Now with this new info from today, can any of you give some thoughts before I just go out and buy a new stator?

Is there a good way to test what's coming out of the stator, like at the plug under the tank?

Old 10-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Electrical: Over 21v+ @ 3000 RPM WTF?

hmm that sounds like a regulator issue again but it had to go bad from something. There is a faq somewhere i saw on testing the electrical system on your F3. I think i saw it over at CBRworld.net

Old 10-27-2007, 06:24 PM

definitly your rectifier/regulator

Your stator is either good...or bad, bad meaning no voltage

the regulator does just that, regulates the voltage from the stator to the battery

Old 10-28-2007, 07:10 AM

take a look at your regulator/rectifier for "heat damage" like melted wires, plug or the R/R itself. Mine went bad and I I thought it was the stator, replaced that and it still would die. Got to checking around and the regulator was fried...literally! the plug had got so hot it nearly fused itself to the rectifier and I like to have not got it unplugged. I had to end up replacing the plug due to melting and the rectifier because it went bad and caused the damage. Mine was running fine, went riding, stopped and got gas, cranked up rode some more, let it go dead at a stop sign and had to push start it (battery had went dead), went about 1/4 mile and started dieng out and finally all dead. Replaced stator &charged battery,lasted 1 day....dead again That's when I found the R/R melted.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:28 AM

I've put in two NEW r/r's since I got the bike a few months ago. Also killed my battery 2 weeks ago.

I'm kinda thinking the stator is causing the problems though. I'm hoping a new stator will put an end to the other failures!

Old 10-28-2007, 10:36 AM

I guess in some instances it could be the stator...however the r/r is the usual culprit[sm=massbounce.gif]

Old 10-28-2007, 12:34 PM

ORIGINAL: fiddy pimpin

I guess in some instances it could be the stator...however the r/r is the usual culprit[sm=massbounce.gif]
I hear 'ya but I keep replacing r/r's over and over. Seems lke something is making the r/r's fail.

Is there a way to test just the stator?

Old 10-28-2007, 03:07 PM

http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/140473.aspx

Check that out man, it helped me when my r/r took a ****. Good luck man

Old 10-29-2007, 09:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was reading that when the regulated voltage greatly exceeds the standard values, the continuity between the ground line of the R/R connector and the frame should be checked. If the continuity is incorrect (meter does nothing),there is an open circuit in the harness or a poorly connected connector. If the continuity is correct (meter chimes), it is a faulty R/R or a poorly connected connector. I was having charging issues (battery was dying) and found the connector between bike harness and stator melted. Granted, that was the connection for the three poles but you might have something similar.
Just one question, are you buying the cheap R/R's fromHong Kongon eBay? They could be bad from the get go. I had to replace an alternator for a friendfour times (I'm a sucker for the hotties) becauseshekept buyingcheap POS. Once she dished out the cash and boughtthe alternator I told her to buy originally, there was no need for a fifth alternator. I must say, this is the FIRST time I have read were someone's charging system was overcharging. Good luck!

Old 10-29-2007, 11:03 AM

I'm using "Electro Sport" replacement r/r's. I've heard they are decent, and only about $100. They have much better cooling than the stock unit I took off.

You have me thinking now. I may get out there today and just go over EVERY wire and connection related to the charging system. I already have all the skins off anyway. Maybe I do have a grounding issue somewhere.

Any input on the Electro Sport units and their quality?

Quick Reply: Electrical: Over 21v+ @ 3000 RPM WTF?