CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Drain the carbs

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drain the carbs

Can anyone tell me how to drain the carbs without pulling them all off? My son owns this bike and he did not put in fuel stabilizer before he was shipped to Iraq. SO I want to get her running, but I think the gas is bad.

Also, should I try to check the spark plugs?

Thanks

Old 08-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Default RE: Drain the carbs

If it will start i would just leave the gas off, and start the bike. I have done this on accident lots of times on my bike. it usually reminds me about a block away from my house when it dies, or on a cold morning just on warm up. If it wont start, i would just take them off, if they have been sitting that long they will most likely need a thorough cleaning anyway so it may not be a bad idea to remolve them.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:08 AM

If the gas is bad, you dont want to start it as it will suck whatever garbage is in the fuel line down to the little orifices in the carb jets.

You should be able to take the float bowls off with a stubby phillips head I believe. Drain the fuel lines, dump the bowls out. Drain the tank completely, this do fresh gas with fuel system cleaner in it... go ride.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:52 AM

Each carb has a drain screw at the bottom of the bowl on the side. They are at an angle so with a very long flat screw driver and a bit of luck. You should be able to drain them inside the bike. You’ll see there are 4 little hoses coming from the bottom of the bowls. Direct them into a container else it’s going to squirt all over the floor.

The next step is to put some fresh fuel in the tank. Don’t try to start the bike yet. Start up your fuel pump by bypassing the one wire as described in the manual. You can now flash some fuel thru the carbs until your satisfied that it’s clean. Keep in mind that when full the 4 float bowls can carry up to 500ml of fuel. So you can flush them for quite a while.
When done REMEMBER! to tighten the drain plugs on the carbs and the reconnect everything and there you go.
If it doesn’t work I’d suggest you remove the carbs (+-30min) and give them a good cleaning.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:41 AM

you cant flush the carb's with the fuel pump once the float chambers are full the fuel returns, you can only prime them
Thats the whole point of floats and needle valves in the floatchambers, stops the engine from flooding,
some people need to learn some mechanical knowledge before giving out stupid advice with gas

Old 08-24-2006, 10:04 AM

I’ll be the better person since you probably just misunderstood. So I’ll try and put it as clear as possible trying not to offend you.

When you pull the plug out of a full bathtub the water will run down the drain(whether you have floats or valves or what ever gadget on your taps).

If you open the drain plugs on the bowls of the carbs the fuel will run out the drain pipes which means your floats will never reach the top when new fuel is added so, your needle valves will never shut hence... you are now flashing your carbs.

I’m extremely sorry if you misunderstood my original explanation but there’s no need to get personal. No pun intended and no bad feelings.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:02 PM

But all your doing by removing the drain plugs is wasting fuel. If you ever take off the float bowls you'll find that all the crud in the botton has gone solid and only now and again it breaks off blocking a jet, the best way is to remove the bowls and manually clean the s**t out.

Sorry for the missunderstanding but the way you worded your reply was as though you hadnt removed the drain plugs.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:41 PM

Thanks, I forgot to mention the cause of the bad fuel is because he took off the gas tank to have it repainted but did not drain the carbs. The crook who told him he could do it took his money and after 6 weeks, had not even stripped off the old paint. After my sone shipped out, I went for the tank and the money and had to go see several of this guy's customers to get back the tank and his money. The tank has fresh fuel in it, but we had this problem in the spring and I took it in to a shop and they told me the gas would go bad quickly. Well, I thought that would be the problem after 8 weeks of sitting. I will try this tonight and let you all know if I can get her started.

Thanks

Old 08-25-2006, 10:51 AM

No problem. I totally agree with you. Although draining them might work, personally I would rather take of the carbs strip them and clean them properly but from Blackhammers question it didn’t seem like he wanted to take them of.

From my personal experience with these bikes you do the proper thing, which takes you a couple of days and then you find out it was something simple that was wrong. Like last night my bike died and after checking the plugs and stripping of everything to get to the carbs I discovered some water leaked into the electrical side of the fuel pump. Just dried it out, sealed it with some silicon rubber and it’s working fine. If I new that I could have just taken of the one side cover
Which reminds me… That little drain pipe coming from the pump. Where is it suppose to be routed ?

Old 08-29-2006, 03:21 AM

well either of you could probably answer my newb question (sorry i'm used to FI): What are the drains there for? When is there a need to drain the bols with the carbs still on the bike? If it's flooded?

Quick Reply: Drain the carbs