CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Downed f3

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downed f3

So last Wednesday I was leaving for work when I noticed that my bike was laying on it's left side. Apparently it fell over, some neighbors HEARD it fall but they did nothing...I mean, they didn't have to, but they could have at least picked it up. It had been laying on it's side for about three hours before I got to it. The clutch handle broke and there's some rash on the handle bar but other than that I didn't notice any other cosmetic damage. I started it up just to see if it would, and it did but it sounded like ****! It made a really loud clang (only way I can think of describing the noise) the first time but after that it started right up. I haven't started it at all since that day. I was going to this morning but I decided to look in the gas tank and my fuel looks blue?? Could coolant have gotten into the tank somehow? It looked to be leaking coolant when I picked the bike up last week and it also leaked some fuel.

I haven't even had the bike for two solid months and it's been through so much ****. I initially wanted to just throw the damn thing away but I've decided that instead of buying a newer bike next year, that I will just use that money towards fixing this one. Anyways, I just wanted to see if anyone would know why my fuel looks blue.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:15 PM

My bike spent several hours on its right side due to a flat rear tire. I sat her up and gave her a few min. She ran well.
The coolant I have seen is yellow green not blue. The only blue fuel I know of is aviation gas. Any possibility someone got into your tank with something?
good luck.
mikey

Old 08-05-2009, 02:14 AM

No, the tank hasn't been tampered with. I was just assuming that it was coolant...and somehow the gas made it turn a bluish color?? but idk what it is and I'm afraid to start it up again since the fuel isn't clear like it should be. It was a crappy day out today so I could possibly have looked at it wrong due to lighting issues? idk, I will look again tomorrow but I'm pretty sure it was bluish in color.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:55 AM

93 octane has a blue tint....

Old 08-05-2009, 04:00 PM

Gas has a blue tint to it that's really only noticable when you shine a light through it. higher octane (usually 100+, maybe 93 like Cajun said) is visible even without the light.

Either way, there is absolutely no way any foreign substance from anywhere else on the bike would be able to make it's way into your tank. Period. You'd have to hav severed the line between your tank and pump, and even then, the gas would flow OUT of the line, flushing out any contaminants, and emptied your tank. Your gas has a slight blue tint as it should.

As for the clank: when your bike was tipped, all the oil (and other liquids) drained over to one side. You picked it up, and started it before the oil had a chance to slither back into all the places it's supposed to be. That clank was something metal rubbing \ hitting against something else metal, which is pretty horrible. Now that the bike has been upright for a while, try it again. let it run for a minute and see if it starts to sound normal again. If it still sounds \ runs like crap, you may have caused some engine damage, like a cracked piston from having no lubrication.

Last edited by johnnyx; 08-05-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:32 PM

Ok so the fuel is definitely BLUE! I will take some pix as soon as I'm able to, but everytime I fill up, it's been clear...never blue or bluish. I started it up and it smoked quite a bit. I guess I'm done riding for this season...better luck next year

Old 08-08-2009, 11:10 AM

Dude there is nothing thats going to go back in your tank and turn the gas anymore blue that it was to start. And surely the smoke is the oil that passed the rings when the bike was over...this is normal. Dont give up so easily!

Old 08-08-2009, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by cajunlowrida
Dude there is nothing thats going to go back in your tank and turn the gas anymore blue that it was to start. And surely the smoke is the oil that passed the rings when the bike was over...this is normal. Dont give up so easily!
Yeah man! Don't give up! If you're truly paranoid about the blue, just drain the tank and put some fresh gas in it. Then fire it up and let all the junk clear out. And yeah some smoke is normal after being on it's side..