CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Deals Gap

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deals Gap

So is this "Deals Gap" really that good?....or is it just overrated?

....well....would it be worth my time to ride down from Michigan with a couple buddies to ride it? (like a 2-3 day trip)

Old 03-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts
Default RE: Deals Gap

I definately say yes. Sure, people say it's not what it used to be, but nothing really is. If you can go on a weekday it's better. I went 2 years ago while enroute to the Honda Hoot in Knoxville, TN. Went again last summer, this time spending more time riding around that area. There are many great roads near Deals Gap besides the Dragon. I'm going again in Sept while enroute to the Moto GP at Indy this year. Yes, my wife and I will be riding from S. FL all the way on F3's. We're taking 2 weeks so we can take our time and explore on the way there and back. Go and have fun.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:19 AM

a few years ago i would say H3LL Yeah, but the past couple seasons the Leo's have been cracking down on bikes, a few have lost their bikes, from what i hear, the good news is that people are fighting back and recording the Leo's mistakes such as crossing double yellows etc, a fair warning if you use a camera on your bike i would keep it well hidden, check some of the other riding forums and look through google, you tube, etc for updates on past and future Leo presence on the dragon,

Old 03-20-2008, 07:02 PM

I went on my 1st trip about 2 months ago.

Other than being in Robbinsville, NC I saw2 cops the whole time on 129(The Dragon). I was rolling about 65-70mph (near the dam closer to Hwy72 and Foothills Pkwy) which I think is a 55 or a 45 zone. They didn't even flinch one bit.

It really is fun as hell. It's constant twists and turns. Plus the Cherohala Parkway is worth a look see too.

While I was up there it was nothing but Locals. I asked them about the police and they told me as long as I'm there late fall and Early spring they don't bother you nor come on this road much. They said it's not worth bothering in the summer time.

I'm going up there April 2nd-6th with some friends of mine. We got a nice 7bedroom cabin near Pigeon Forge and will be staying at the Cherohala Inn the 2 nights before that.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:33 PM

It is a great road! I lived about 10 miles from the gap for awhile. Might I recommend hwy. 116 as well as the cherohala skyway. There are so many great roads in the area. I am also a member on a local forum easttnriders.com that has tons of info about the area.... just a thought

Old 03-20-2008, 10:53 PM

I'm also an f3 rider in Michigan who hasn't gone, post up on herewhen you get ready to make your trip. Maybe a few buddies and I can tag along!

Old 03-21-2008, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Sounds like the making of a road trip to me....

Old 03-21-2008, 09:43 AM

F2/F3 Deal's Gap Meet. Sounds good to me. (Also be a goodweekend for Carb Tuners to come out)

Old 03-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A thing about the LEO's at Deals Gap. The local county cops are n have always been there, and most are riders themselves. The locals like having them there. If they pull you over, you were doin something stupid to get pulled over. Now the THP that were up that last year and most likey be there this year have marching orders to be a torn in bikers sides. The THP are the ones driving like morons there and being the real pita. This is all info that the owner of the Deals Gap Store n Resort posted.

The Dragon is a great road, prolly the best 11 miles you can ever ride. And yes there are plenty of other great roads as well.

If you plan on riding like a sensible rider definately go n ride it. If you wanna ride it like its a race track, pass up on it because you will either have the worst encounter with the cops you ever had or worse, end up as another donor to the Tree of Shame.

I love it. Have one Rally I will be attending and will be making serveral day trips there this year.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Travass27

It is a great road! I lived about 10 miles from the gap for awhile. Might I recommend hwy. 116 as well as the cherohala skyway. There are so many great roads in the area. I am also a member on a local forum easttnriders.com that has tons of info about the area.... just a thought
28 is another good road too, esp south 28 from what I am told.

Quick Reply: Deals Gap