CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

damn carbs again???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default damn carbs again???

So i was out riding my bike around, i came up to a stop light and was just idling there waiting for it to turn green. When it did i left like normal and bike sounded normal but when i got into 2nd gear the "Tone" of the motor changed.

The bike seemed to smooth out (in a bad way) and i had no power. It wasnt missing but it just wasnt there. wasnt climbing rpms fast at all. But it was smooth running.... I get to the gas station shut it down dont think anything of it fill it up 3.6 gallons bike starts right up and i leave to my job which is like 500 ft away. i Parked it and let it sit for about a half hour came back out and it wouldnt start.

It cranked over for 10 sec or so then i gave a twist of the throttle and it started. Drove another 10 miles or so and it was dying at idle. I had to keep reving it to keep it going. Whenever i did rev it the was hesitating until about 3k rpms under no load in neutral.

When im going down the hwy at 60 it runs ok. Does seem to have lost some power for sure though.

I got home let the bike sit for an hour went to go start it and nothing again. Took me about 15 min to start it, ran for about 30 sec died and took another 15 min to start it.

I have fuel going into the fuel pump and the pump is working at idle and at speed. (dont have a cover over there lol) I have a clear fuel filter and its full of fuel. I have bypassed the air soleniode and its not even on it anymore.

I did smell alot of gas while sitting at stoplights and when i was idling in my driveway. No leaks though anywhere. No fuel spray out of muffler or black smoke that i can see.

Think it could be bad gas? Carbs screwed up once again even though theres only 2k miles on them and it was running perfect? Bad spark plugs or weak spark?

Thanks for reading my book lol

Last edited by turbotransam83; 07-20-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:32 PM

Well i tore the tank off and and took the airbox off. Found the K&n filter was clogged packed full of black like dirt. Thick crap. cleaned out the filter but the bike still wont start up without using the throttle. It starts when the filter is out without having to use throttle but that may be from the bike sitting and not being hot.

Tomorrow im going to tear it all down once yet again. Im going to pop the carb bowls off and take a peek.

I have a crazy idea that ive heard tons of people talk about but havent seen anyone do so i may be selling a good F3 motor off a 1998 SJR along with stock wiring harness, carbs, air box, and anything that has to do with the electrical system. Ill keep everyone posted.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:06 PM

DON't FORGET TO INSPECT THE CARB INSULATOR BOOTS (INSIDE AND OUT).
That is what led the old owner of my bike to sell it to me.
He pull the carbs over and over and never resolved the stalling.
But I did.... Four new insulators and BAMMO!
(He was pissed I figured it out so fast)
7 years vs. 2 days (Yeah I'd be pissed too)

Old 07-20-2010, 11:08 PM

Yeah mine are brand new. i replaced them with the new carbs i got along with new cables. im going to pull it apart tomorrow and check everything.

I keep smelling gas when the bike runs. No leaks though... it has to be running super rich but its not smoking black. Im tired of messing with carbs though for sure. im a big FI fan myself.

Im thinking about getting creative with the grinder and welder

Old 07-22-2010, 02:10 PM

So i got pissed and took the bike apart. Once i had the tank off i noticed that cylinder 3 has liquid comming from it under the carbs. Well thats what my gas smell was. the carb itself has to be leaking. I have new boots on it and they were all tight.

This is the major thing i found though......

Gas has completely filled up this one intake side of #3.

Im going to pull the float bowl off and see if i can find out whats wrong.

Attached Thumbnails damn carbs again???-fghf.jpg  
Old 07-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any luck with the carbs? had the same thing happen to me but ordered a new float.havent started it up yet,still waiting on parts.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:02 PM

Yeah i took the carbs off and cleaned them all out. I couldnt see anything wrong but they work now so.