CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

couple problems and starter relay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple problems and starter relay?

I have a few things going on with my bike right now
98 f3 600

turn key on lights turn on and everything, press start button light dims, nothing happens. I checked voltage on starter relay and its 0.01 so nothing. i just the two metal bars coming off the relay and the bike will turn over. I'm assuming thats the relay then right?

allllllllllso, i just replace the rectifier last year and have about 400 miles on the bike with that. I ran it for the first time this year (still very cold) down the block and back. Literally a couple hundred feet each way. Get back in the driveway and the bike dies. I was super low on gas so I assumed it was that. Through trying to start it is when the relay went bad (assuming thats it)... the fuel pump would work on and off occasionally. I ran gravity feed and still wouldnt start.

The oil was super low, just touching the bottom of the dipstick. I cant believe i didnt check that. Did i maybe fry the motor? what would be causing it not to start?

After a long time of trying to start it is when the starter relay went bad (again assuming thats what it is) aside from that though, when its cranking over and getting gas what else could be bad?

i checked the 4 fuses in the front and the fuse on the starter relay is good as well.

I'm going to do a compression test when I can get it to crank over again as well as looking for spark and such

thnx!

Old 03-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Is your motor fried.... No. Was your oil low, yes but not enough to do any damage to the engine.

Having the Starter Relay not click when you hit the Starter Button is a common problem. The most common cause is either dirty contacts on the Starter Switch, or even a wire that's come unsoldered from the switch itself. You can easily take the Clip-On off the right fork tube, then split the Engine Stop/Start Button assembly and slide out the Clip-On. You can then get to the switch components. It's fairly simple to take apart. One thing you can try is to make sure it's in Neutral and have the side stand up while pulling in the clutch lever. If the Neutral light is on, then you're good there.

Try those things and let us know. As for tough starting, fouled plugs, dirty carbs are common, particularly if it sat for any period of time without running. I wouldn't pay much attention to the fuel pump for now until you're at least getting a clicking from the Starter Relay.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds great, thanks. I called the local honda dealer and they didnt have any in stock so i went to another guy i usually have my repairs done throuh if i cant figure it out. Just waiting for it to come in at this point. I just hope when i replace this that itll fire up right away