CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

completely frustrated!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default completely frustrated!!

I laid my bike down last summer and i have been in the process of rebuilding it. I bent my stay bracket and got a used one from someone on here. I ended up buying a set of plastics too. The other day i realized that it was too much work for me to make the tail section perfect. today i was trying to see if the fairings would line up in the front....something doesnt seem right. I dunno any suggestions?

If any of you live in maine in the greater portland area and would like to give me a hand. drop me a line. Thanks for listening to me wine!

Brian

Old 05-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: completely frustrated!!

For those of us that don't live in the Portland, ME area, post some pictures. You might be using 97-98 F3 plastics on a 95-96 F3 and there are a few differences between the two F3 generations.For instance, thetail plastics won't fit exactly without changing a couple other things. But without pictures, it's hard to give any worth whilesuggestions.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:01 PM

Yeah i changed the tail so it could fit the later models. Is there any difference in the upper fairings? The stay bracket is off an F2

Thanks for all the help

Old 05-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Banned

The fairing stay off the F2's I don't know about, but all the F3 uppers are the same as far as boting right on. The only thing you need for the 97-98 tail/tail lightto fit right is the battery tray/storage compartment from the 97-98's. Otherwise you'll have to cut a chunk off the oneon there, which I found out the hard way. But again, the uppers of ALL F3's are the same and will bolt right on.

I have an F3 upper fairing stay collecting dust if you want it. It's SLIGHTLY bent on the left mirror mount arm, but it can be straightened with a vise and a breaker bar (or you can put it on the bike and do it). I never done it because it doesn't create any problem for bolting on the windscreen or mirrors and I knew I was replacing it anyway.

If you want it it's yours for $5 plus shipping. It's still got the horn on it as well as the instrument cluster (with a broken trip meter). Lemme know if you want it.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What model and year of CBR do you have? There is not a difference that I know of in the upper plastics of the F3 generations. I do know that there are some differences in the faring stay (F2 vs. F3). I've also heard mention on this forum about a seat from 95 - 96 will not fit correctly on a 97 - 98 tail section. Hope this stuff is pointing ya in the right direction.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:05 AM

I have a 95. From what i have read the seat from the earlier f3's will fit, but theres a gap. In february i bought a complete set of plastics from a guy online who had a 98. He showed me pics with all the body work on the bike. I installed the tail and didnt like how it looked becausethemounting boss' werent lined upcorrectly.(they had beenbroken off and reattached). I ordered anew one of ebay. Last fall i got a fairing stay bracket off an F2. The guy told me it was straight and it appears to be. the only difference i could find between the f3 bracket and the f2 bracket is where you mount the horn and one of the relays.

The problem i am having is the upper fairing doesnt seem to be lining up with the stay bracket. the mounts on the bracket are about a 1/2 to 1/4" from the mounting holes on the fairing.

I dont know if this matters, but the upper fairings are aftermarket from targa. the center piece is factory

Old 05-04-2007, 12:57 AM
Banned

Again, I can't comment on the Targa stuff from experience, but from what I hear they're as close to OEM as it gets.

And yes, the seats are different from 95-96 and 97-98 but they will interchange. The 97-98 is much more comfy anyway.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Registered Users

aftermarket stuff never works right, and those front fairing stay's are a motherfunker if they get bent even a little, mine was off to the right about 1/4 inch and one day while i was tinkering i thought i'd fix it just bend a lil metal in the right direction right? not so much, never did get it right...but it stay's on the bike that's what counts

Old 05-04-2007, 12:09 PM

Old 05-05-2007, 01:22 AM
Banned

Mine old one is nowhere near that jacked. When I say it's a little off, I mean you can't notice it unless you're right behind it chin level on the tank.

Try to find a new one.

Quick Reply: completely frustrated!!