CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Clutch slippage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,
So I think the oil changed helped a lot. I also adjusted the clutch lever to my liking, so that it doesn't "kick in" right near completely released point.

I took it for a 1 hour ride today, and occasionally raising the rpms passed 7,000, and up to about 9,500.

I did not experience any slippage (yet). I'm hoping this has cured it. It was still a little cool outside, so I can't be sure if its fixed or not. I also didn't want to give it too much, since I'm still new and don't feel comfortable gassing it too hard.

Once thing I did notice is that, while changing gears, I can "feel" the gears more...if that makes any sense. Its still smooth when shifting, but I can feel the effect through my boot a little more when shifting.

RPMs seem to also climb easier, and there is no more/extremely little hesitation when accelerating slowly in low rpms (i.e. 1st gear, rolling at 10 mph at 2000 rpm or something).

I've also go 1/3 can of Seafoam in the almost full gas tank, which I think is contributing to the smooth(er) idle.

I'll post back once I get a chance to put some more hours into riding it.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:58 AM

i have a 96f3 and my clutch was fine when i got it in november '08. i have recently started trying clutch wheelies and the past few times ive tried it feels like its slipping and not grabbing to pop up the front end. it shifts fine and doesnt slip when im taking off hard or hauling @$$.

i got the bike used and it had 30k miles on it and i have put 4k on it since then. i dont know if the clutch has been replaced or what. i just know it has been ridden hard.

should i lay off the wheelies with so many miles (is 34k alot of miles?) or should i replace the clutch and keep trying?

i want to wheely just cuz its the first thing people ask me when they see i have a bike. im not looking to do 70+mph wheelys on freeways or anything, i just wanna pop it up when i see some cute girls in the car next to me lol.

kinda went off topic there sorry lol. but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:21 PM

I'm new here but i think the above statement is prime squid material haha Your riding for the wrong reasons man just go out and have fun

Old 04-09-2009, 11:27 PM

I agree with you newb13. I have a great time everytime and dont feel like i have to impress anyone. Plus Clutch Wheelies are pretty dangerious when compared to throttle wheelies, you'll probably dump it sooner or later if you keep it up.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Heffer2586
I agree with you newb13. I have a great time everytime and dont feel like i have to impress anyone. Plus Clutch Wheelies are pretty dangerious when compared to throttle wheelies, you'll probably dump it sooner or later if you keep it up.
I hear that throttle wheelies are much more dangerous than clutch wheelies, but that clutch wheelies are just "scarier" and more intense.

I only throttle it up myself, though.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:32 PM

with throttle wheelies the front end will come up a little slower at first and then quickly snap up as you hit the higher rpms.
clutch wheelies just snap up to the balance point at a constant fast rate, but you have to know where to slip the clutch so you dont loop it.

i know a few people who have broken chains doing throttle wheelies. ive only heard of the clutch wearing out faster with clutch wheelies, but not enough to make a huge difference.

and i dont ride just to do wheelies, i love the ride and try to get to the canyons every day i dont have work and weather permits, but the wheely puts a smile on peoples faces. i mean who doesnt like seeing a wheely?