CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Clutch problems after engine removal.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problems after engine removal.

A little run down of situation at hand;

Tore the bike down to the frame last week to get some things take care of (frame painting etc). I removed everything as per the manual, and stored the engine on the final supports standing up right just about the same way it sits in the bike. I did not remove the oil from the engine before taking it out because I read in the manual for the procedure if you were going to disassemble the engine " if necessary remove all fluids described in chapter blah blah blah" so I skipped draining and changing oil + filter. I only have about 1,000 miles on both oil and filter currently. Upon getting the bike assembled back I noticed after starting it up for the first time last night rolling it out to the driveway to take a stroll around the bike was VERY difficult to roll in gear with clutch in, Engine off. Which is completely abnormal to this bike as I have bump started it and had to move it around the same way many of times. The clutch cable is brand new and to rule the cable adjustment out I am using only the arm coming out of the clutch cover to operate the clutch.

When the bike is on a rear stand, Engine on, 1st gear clutch all the way in, the wheel spins freely as if the clutch doesn't even exist. I know the wheel will creep and what not even with good adjustment etc but this is not a creep, it's getting full power from the gear as if I had released the clutch and let it idle. I've read around the only thing I've come up with is the fact that the plates may be stuck because it sat with dirty oil for months. But could this be the case if it only sat for approx 6 days?

Any and all help would be appreciated I'd love to get it back on the road.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:21 PM

update*

oil had thickened a bit, older racer guy from my local parts-shop recommended something that worked. warmed up the engine and worked the clutch around a bit; low and behold I have a clutch again.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:19 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got it worked out and thanks for the up-date, might help someone else in a similar situation in the future.

Did you actually change the oil, or did you just need to warm the engine up to get it free?

Old 09-28-2014, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Glad you got it worked out and thanks for the up-date, might help someone else in a similar situation in the future.

Did you actually change the oil, or did you just need to warm the engine up to get it free?

Thanks! I didn't change the oil, just warmed it up and played with the clutch for a few until I got it free. I felt it come loose partially and next pull it was 100% back. I'm sure this would help for those who don't ride their bikes everyday as well. I could imagine it happens often 2+ weeks of sitting.