CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch problems

i started having clutch issuses with it hanging up. i would be ridding along and it would starting dragging to the point that i ahd to stop and readjust it. put new clutch kit and now i dont have any hook up at all, tried adjusting the play but when i do it creeps forward when i pull the clutch lever in gear. it dosnt hook up at all in gear. i can move the bike around like it was in neutral after putting in gear. i checked the everthing 3 times now with no luck. with the clutch plates out and the transmission in gear should u have and free rotation on the shaft the runs through the center of the basket. also with everthing put back togather the rear tire will turn in gear when i tighting up the center nut.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

This is an area where I don't have personal experience. However that being said, some things I understand. When everything is working correctly and the bike is in gear, and the clutch is engaged and the engine not running, you can't move the bike because there is solid link between the counter sprocket through the transmission, the clutch plates and to the engine. When you pull in the clutch lever the clutch plates release there hold on each other and the transmission will now rotate independently of the engine. I know I'm stating the obvious here but sometimes it helps to stop and think about what's supposed to happen in order to determine what isn't happening. There is a saying that goes like this. "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over the same way and expecting different results". If you've taken the clutch out 3 times and put it back together and it still doesn't work, then I think you're missing something. Maybe you have some assumptions that aren't true. Maybe another pair of eyes might help you to see something you're missing. Look closely at all the parts. If I'm not mistaken they're not all the same. They need to be installed in a particular order. If you can post some pictures that would probably help other to see what you're doing if you don't have another pair of eyes locally to look at it.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:18 PM

ok i pulled the clutch plates back out. the cluthc outer that has the 2 sets of gears on a outer thick one and a thiner inside one. is the inside one supposed the turn and and tight shoud it be. they both were lined up when i pulled it off so i dont know how much free play if any is there when it turns and how easily. should i be able to turn it by hand or should it be pretty tight?

Old 04-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Someone else with personal experience on taking the clutch apart is going to have to chime in here.

BTW
Are you typing on a cell phone or something. When posting up here, take a couple of minutes and read through what you've written. That way, what you write will make sense. Your last response was a little tough to follow.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you put up some pictures? It would make it easier to see what is going on if I could get a visual.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:54 PM

UPDATE!!!
So i pulled everthing back out and went through it agiain and put it back togather according to my honda book. so now im still scratching my head cuz now when i go from neutral into gear it wants to take off the line like a prostock bike when i still have the clutch lever pulled. thank god i had the front brake on when it happend. the clutch cable is really hard to pull and its new oem. i doubled checked the part number from ebc and they say its right. its a src kit with kevlar plates.
so any ideas. it is a 97 600 f3 model