CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Clutch/gear problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch/gear problems

So my 97 f3 is having a few problems.

After practically pulling out the entire engine and putting it back in, I've come across some gear/clutch problems:

- The bike has a SLIGHT pull to it sitting at idle in gear, but when given throttle, it no longer has the pull.

- It rides fine through first gear, but has a semi-tough time getting in to second, and when given above 3-4k rpms, it drops either to neutral or 1st.

- If I skip second gear, which takes quite a few pulls sometimes, the rest of the gears run fine(as far as i know)

- When shifted into second, or kicks back out into neutral, it takes 5+ pushes on the shift pedal to drop it into first.

A new pressure plate was just put in for the clutch.

In all, the bike is just having a hard time finding neutral, first, and second and the shifting seems rougher than usual, and it kicks out of second given almost any throttle.

Any ideas?

Old 04-10-2009, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

It sounds like the clutch may be dragging a bit. Possibly a cable adjustment, depending on where the clutch is engaging. If you have to pull the clutch lever all the way to the grip, then this may be the cause.

Second is the popping out of gear. How many miles on this bike ? Do you know the history of this bike ? Meaning how was it treated ? It sounds like the "dawgs" are worn on the second gear. Poor shifting, hard shifting, shifting without the clutch can all cause the dawgs to wear out. There is no adjusting this. If this is the cause, then replacing is the only way. This can be expensive if you have to pay someone to do it as it involves splitting the case with the engine out. Labor intensive. Parts are not too expensive.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:02 AM

I've tried all sorts of cable adjustments to no avail.

The engine has already been pulled apart and the gears and clutch are all in good shape.

The lower engine case has been swapped out, and prior to the swap, the bike ran fine, just had an oil leak. After the swap, no leak, but now crappy shifting D:

And the cbr in question is a purple f3 just like in your sig.

Last edited by inkrypt; 04-11-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Default Need info...

Hmmm interesting to say the least.

Ok first off why did you swap out lower ends?

Second are you sure the new lower end was in good shape?

The pulling of the bike is odd for sure and I am going to have to think on this for a few.

You mentioned that you replaced 1 clutch plate? Steel or fiber and why only one plate and not the set.

You might have a warped steel pressure plate causing the pull in gear.

When a bike's tranny pops out of gear and it's hard to shift it could be a few things and the first thing that comes to mind is a bent shift shaft.

And you mentioned you had the motor apart, is there a chance you missed a thrust washer or two on the tranny rebuild installation... this would make the bike hard to shift.

We need more info on what exactly you did to the motor before anyone can give you an educated guess.

SIRR1

Old 04-11-2009, 02:05 PM

The bike was dropped, and the stator cover hit the curb of the road, which cracked the engine case as well. As far as I know, everything that was taken out of the engine was put straight back in the same way, and the new engine case is in great shape.

When taken apart, one of the arms on the pressure plate was broken off accidentally, so I just got a new one.

Last edited by inkrypt; 04-11-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:58 PM

Update!

Everything for the most part is working again. Gears can be found just as before, but the thing still slips out of second unless the shift lever is held up. Given anything more than a little throttle it still pops out. Fork is okay, gear is okay. Anyone?

Old 04-11-2009, 09:18 PM

Ok try this.

Put the bike on a rear stand if you have one or a auto pair of jack stands.

With the rear wheel off the ground and the engine off spin the rear wheel in neutral in the normal direction of travel.

The rear wheel should spin freely in neutral and with only minor chain noise.

Now with the bikes rear wheel still in the air spin the wheel and click the tranny into first gear, the transmission should click right into first gear.

Now spin the rear wheel and shift up into into second, once again it should pop right into gear by spinning the rear wheel.

If it does not click into gear check and make sure your chain is not to tight, then check the shifter shaft keeper fork is still in place or that it is not damaged or missing.

Make sure your shift linkage is tight with no slop and visualy inspect the shift shaft for damage since the bike was dropped on this side.

With the rear tire off the ground you should be able to go through the gears up and down by simply spinning the rear wheel and shifting.

If the shifting works out good and you can access all of the gears without binding or missed shifts you can then rule out a bent shift shaft or missing internal tranny parts and you can focus then on the clutch to fix your problem.

I am not trying to be a jerk or put down your mechanical skills but something is just not right if your having these types of shifting problems. Honda Transmissions are damn near bulletproof untill you bend the shift shaft or forget a thrust washer somewhere on the gear shafts during a rebuild. Once you determine it's not in the transmission and on the clutch side your on easy street because the entire clutch can be repaired with the engine in the frame...

Good luck !

SIRR1

Old 04-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Default also

when you put the new fiber plate into the clutch pack did you put them in order of steel, fiber, steel starting and stopping with steel plates correct?

Also on the fiber clutch plate the are the gaps or lines on the fiber plate itself are they straight gaps or lines or they curved lines on the fiber plate?

I am not sure about the plate lines myself for the F3 but if the lines are curved on the fiber plates all of the of the fiber plates must be all facing in the direction of the the clutch baskets rotation.

If one of the plates or several plates are backwards or miss aligned it will mess up the rotation and could make the bike pull and this wound make clutch operation difficult if not impossible, just a thought. SIRR1