CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

cleaned carbs w/ cleaner and now bike smokes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaned carbs w/ cleaner and now bike smokes?

So I sprayed most a can of amsoil carb-cleaner into the 4 carbs and then some sea-foam through the gas tank and poured a little more down the carbs. Ran it for a couple mins, then shut it off for a day and a half. Today I got the new fuel line I needed and changed the fuel filter, put the tank on and drove to the gas station to fill it up, it was smoking the whole way, and after I filled up the tank I drove around for another 10 mins and its still smoking.

is there some way I am burning oil or could have damaged something? Sea-foam is safe to fog your engine with for storage so it doesn't eat away at anything. Could I have pulled a hose loose that is causing extreme oil blow-by or something? The muffler seems to have a wet substance on the inside of it.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:56 PM
Default RE: cleaned carbs w/ cleaner and now bike smokes?

ok.. i know what ur problem is... i seafoamed my bike too... i put it in the gas and in the carbs... it was an awesome smoke show and was still smoking when i turned it off... but...... i let it sit, just like you did... later i came back and my bike wouuldnt start, only backfire. What you need to do is go out in the country and hit some long straight roads and really feed her the gas... get her up into the really high rpms. If there is still some in the gas it will smoke a little bit still... but if you burn it all out.... you will be good to go! i suggest new plugs though if you are having trouble starting. I will never take the easy route by putting seafoam in my bike again.. i thought it was a good idea... but i'm not sold on it anymore... maybe to stablize fuel, but no more... let me know how it goes...

Old 06-23-2007, 09:22 PM
Default RE: cleaned carbs w/ cleaner and now bike smokes?

well all is good, i took it on a 45 minute ride with a few WOT pulls in 1st and 2nd and it stopped smoking at about 35mins. There was just so much liquefied deposits that had collected in the exhaust that it took THAT long to burn it off. Also because figure I used almost a whole can on a 600cc motor, when I have used that same amount on a 5900cc jeep motor.

SO if you use a LOT of seafoam, it will probably smoke for quite awhile.

the good news is that my idle is completely fixed. Now the only thing I might want to fix is a slight rich low end but I will need a jet kit and dyno time for that. (When I am rolling along at about 2000rpm's in 1st gear and mash it, it realllly bogs, but that could just be because its so far out of the cams powerband)