CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

choke on 98 f3

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default choke on 98 f3

for some reason when i ride in traffic of stop and go my choke has to be all the way open or the bike will cut off. if i am on the highway with constant throttle its fine when its a little over half open like it should be i was told .but if i stop or slow down to much with it like that, the bike cuts off. what could be the problem i was thinking something may be wrong with my idle control that little swivel thingamajig[&:]

Old 09-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Default RE: choke on 98 f3

you shouldn't really be riding with the choke open at all - only use it to get to operating temperature. Fire the bike up and leave the choke open on full until temp needle goes above the line by the 'c'. then close the choke and see what the revs are at. it might be that the tick over control (below where your left leg will be - near the fuel reserve dial) is closed - twist it to open it up; this should increase/decrease the revs during tickover.

Really the ideal tick over will be 12-14k (mine's a 96/97 FT and about 14k is right). obviously this will increase as the engine warms up further, so may need changing when you are out and about.

if this doesn't work it could the idle itself or something more technical that i don't understand!

anyway, key things are making sure the tickover is at the right amount and that the choke isn't ideal for actually riding. always make sure you give the bike time to warm up.

hope i have been of help mate!

Old 09-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

when i boight my F3 the guy who had it before me rode it up from santa rosa and he said that there was a problem with the carbs that they needed to be re syncd. well when he was riding it around for me the 1st night i looked @ it he was riding with the choke open like you described. i changed the idle control when i got around the corner then put the choke back to its normal position and the bike ran fine. im guessing because of the elevation difference thats why the guy had it adj the way he did but either way after i adjusted the idle the bike ran fine

Old 09-08-2006, 07:58 PM

ORIGINAL: havoc_on_2_wheels

when i boight my F3 the guy who had it before me rode it up from santa rosa and he said that there was a problem with the carbs that they needed to be re syncd. well when he was riding it around for me the 1st night i looked @ it he was riding with the choke open like you described. i changed the idle control when i got around the corner then put the choke back to its normal position and the bike ran fine. im guessing because of the elevation difference thats why the guy had it adj the way he did but either way after i adjusted the idle the bike ran fine
yeah i was reading the manual but it looks like my idle needs to be replaced . or it needs to be oiled cause i tried adjusting it nothing happened i waited for the bike to warm then tried to turn it, all that happened was the bike will cut off. i was just turning and turning and nothing would happen so i just got it to where it would keep running . the guy i bought the bike from kept it outside covered it had alot of rust and the idle looks rusted

Old 09-11-2006, 01:46 PM

i just removed my side fairings and was about to try to adjust the idle screw well it seems it was totally disconnected . and i have no idea wear to reconnect it anyone can give me an idea where to reconnect it ?

Old 03-13-2007, 07:23 PM

Yeah i have the same problem can anyone help?

Old 03-13-2007, 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: connor

Yeah i have the same problem can anyone help?
what it was my idle screw was disconnected. i had to remove the tank n the air filter assy, the hose screws in between the two middle carbs.theres a little hole there for the hose . first turn your idle screw see if there is any difference if nothing it may bedisconnected .if it is not connected you will have fun puttin it back in

Old 03-14-2007, 09:58 PM

ORIGINAL: paddygrant

you shouldn't really be riding with the choke open at all - only use it to get to operating temperature. Fire the bike up and leave the choke open on full until temp needle goes above the line by the 'c'.

I don't think it's healthy to leave the choke open until the bike is fully warmed up. I think it was either in the honda owner's manual or clymer manual or both that I read you should only have it open for a couple minutes at most then close it..if the idle is still too choppy for your liking at that point open the throttle a little bit. Then just let the bike sit until its above the C mark. I know one thing that can happen if you leave your choke open longer than that often enough itll discolour your perty exhaust.