CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

CCT

Old 06-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CCT

I know this probably belongs in general tech but I kind of need quick answers to my problem .. And that forum isn't very active.

I have a 98 f3 motor, CCT is going out.. I'm having trouble finding the OEM CCT for this except some on ebay I dont really know about.

How easy are these..? It says they would fit 98 f3 APE - Cam Chain Tensioner- Honda CBR 600 F3 1995 1998 CBR 600F4 F4i 1998 2006 CBR 900RR Fireblade 1993 1999 CB 919 Hornet CBR 1100XX bird 1997 2003

Maybe this a dumb question but Im new to this. Somebody I heard say they never go out. I just want other opinions before I go and buy one.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:32 PM

I dont know much about them either, and i been looking at getting a manual one on my f4 too. But i read that unless you know quite a bit about these motors, they can be a pain in the rear, and can screw up the motor pretty bad if they arent set just right. So i just went ahead and ordered a new stock one from a local dealer. I get major discounts at this dealer and only paid $45 for it instead of $70 at other dealers. But yea, unless you know your stuff, your probly better off just being safe and getting another stock one. The stock one should last you like 10k miles anyways, and by then maybe you will know more bout the bike and can get a manual one.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:09 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I kind of need quick answers to my problem .. And that forum isn't very active.
The forum is very active in gen tech - if you'd been here a while you would know that.
Patience is a virtue...................

Don't duplicate your posts please !

Moved it here

Old 06-09-2012, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by CHRlS
I know this probably belongs in general tech but I kind of need quick answers to my problem .. And that forum isn't very active.

I have a 98 f3 motor, CCT is going out.. I'm having trouble finding the OEM CCT for this except some on ebay I dont really know about.

How easy are these..? It says they would fit 98 f3 APE - Cam Chain Tensioner- Honda CBR 600 F3 1995 1998 CBR 600F4 F4i 1998 2006 CBR 900RR Fireblade 1993 1999 CB 919 Hornet CBR 1100XX bird 1997 2003

Maybe this a dumb question but Im new to this. Somebody I heard say they never go out. I just want other opinions before I go and buy one.
A manual cct will be a " set and forget" deal. once you install the new one, you will not have to worry about it again until it eventually goes bad. the spring tension decreases over the years and will eventually need replacing.
a manual one will require you to adjust it manually (go figure!), BUT it will be a one time transaction in cost, because it should NEVER go bad. so really, it all depends on what avenue you want to approach it from in pros vs. cons..

Heres a idodirt's writeup on changing a manual cct.
https://cbrforum.com/forum/stickies-...sioner-104184/
and the first reply is from spicymeowmix, which has a link to his guide for a manual cct replacement in his signature..

good luck!

Old 06-11-2012, 05:00 PM

What does the cct do? How do you know whe it's going bad?

Old 06-11-2012, 05:59 PM

timbodacook- its supposed to keep the cam chain at a perfect tension, hense the name cam chain tensioner. you will know its goin out when you start hearing a rapid rattling noise from kinda toward the right side of the engine. ussually you can pull the tank off and back it out and release it a few times when its going out just to last till you order a new one and install it. very simple to install, but in a very tight spot.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:19 PM

Thanks, I got a timing advancer and put that on and saw The cct and thought nothing of it, now that you mention it I do hear a rattling noise while in neutral, might need to get one of those now. He does it affect the performance?

Old 06-12-2012, 12:33 AM

well, it can throw off the timing a little bit, as the cam chain will become loose, making the cam rotate a little behind where it should be, but thats only if its very loose. and also if its left too long and gets too loose, the chain could possibly skip a tooth, and you would have to pretty much tear the entire bike and motor apart to replace it. if it is loose, you can generally hear it at an idle, and while driving. but if you are hard on the throttle, it may sometimes temporarily go away untill you let off again. its the same concept as a timing chain in a car/truck.

also, you say you hear it when in neutral... if thats the case, and the noise goes away when you put it into gear, then its probably not the cct. that would most likely be something in your gear box..

Last edited by jurgs2007; 06-12-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by timbodacook
now that you mention it I do hear a rattling noise while in neutral
it is more than likely just the clutch. these bikes are notorious for loud rattly clutch baskets. if your sitting still with the bike running in neutral, just engage the clutch..if the noise stops, then your fine..

Search this Thread