CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

CBR - Quick Thoughts on Issues required !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR - Quick Thoughts on Issues required !!

Hey all

First post here ..... great site BTW

Anyways

Driving home yesterday on the 97F3 when I can hear the engine sound like its struggling .... I cranked the throttle a couple times thinking that would clear up the issues

Nope !!

Next thought ....

I need to get outta the way of this no talent a$$ clown bearing down on me in his Humvee !!

Next thought ....

Low on gas ?? ..... Probably ...... So I pulled off to the side of the road.

Turned off the bike

Switched to Reserve

Turned the bike back on

Made the attempt to start it

It started right away .... YAY !!

Then 2 seconds later ..... everything went 100% DEAD !!

No lights, no guages no vroom no nothing !

The battery is about a year old, so I am thinking that is not the problem ...... although I am 100% sure its dead now !! hehe

Any ideas where I should start looking before the bike takes a ride to the local Honda dealership ?

Thanks all

Tim Kent
Winnipeg Canada

Last edited by 96th_Malice; 09-22-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:16 PM

Regulator/rectifier? They are known to go bad on F3s but I've been lucky enough to never have this issue. Have you checked to make sure you battery connections are good? I'm ruling electrical due to the fact that you have lost all lights/power and not just fuel.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Northernfirepower
Regulator/rectifier? They are known to go bad on F3s but I've been lucky enough to never have this issue. Have you checked to make sure you battery connections are good? I'm ruling electrical due to the fact that you have lost all lights/power and not just fuel.
Ya know, I am really hoping it is that simple ..... the roads up here are not in the best of shape and maybe a battery connection came loose ..... and as much as I am guessing the problem isnt that simple, the connections to the battery will be my first check as soon as I get home !!

Old 09-22-2009, 04:38 PM

OK

Pulled off the seat

everything appeared to be connected to the battery fine

I turned the ignition to on

DEAD .... No lights ... Nothing still ( as suspected )

SO

I hooked up the battery charger to it the battery THEN turned the bike on

Full lights and it started

As soon as I pulled the charger off the battery, lights began to fade !!

Eventually cranjking the throttle to increase revs killed the engine and all was dead again

Now I know the battery is dead from the ride home yesterday ... so I will let it charge for a good couple hours before putting it back in the bike.

Now what I wanna know is ..... I am pretty much a put gas in it type ogf rider so being mechanical is a bit of a stretch ....... BUT if the battery holds the charge then dies again shortly into a ride is it my battery or alternator ( dont know what the alternator is called on a bike sorry ) or both.

the electrical is obviously fine .

I know ...... If I could find a long enough extension cord I could just ride with the battery charger plugged in and sitting on my lap !!

Any other insight would be awesome

Thanks

Tim Kent
Winnipeg Canada

Old 09-22-2009, 08:02 PM

I'm going with reg/rec. Take a look at it it's on subframe exhaust side. See if IT or the plug look melted or blistered in any way. When you replace it get one with cooling fins on it.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone who's reg stuffs up always suspects its the battery, mine was 8 yo, so I thought it had to be that. Replaced it & went riding, thank god it was not until the next day & I was almost home before it went again.
I suspect Mr Honda has shares in the Reg replacement companies for F2's & F3's (have heard that some VFR's also suffer from the same thing)

Old 09-22-2009, 11:21 PM

I had my Reg/rec. go bad on my F3. I was able to nurse it home though. I replaced it with one for a 05 GSXR. Took a little wiring work but it now starts charging at 2500-3000 rpm. There are some how to do it threads for the conversion here on CBRF. Or you can just buy the OEM R/r and plug it in. Only requires removal of two small bolts after removing the right side rear plastic.
Let us know what you do and how it works out.
Mikey

Old 09-23-2009, 08:41 AM

Morning all

Thanks for the responces. I am going to look into the reg option for sure. Any of my freinds who I have asked ( all drive cars for the record ) say it sounds like the stator / alternator.

Again, I am making the statement that I am the FURTHEST thing from being mechanically inclined and this bike has been rock solid for me since 97 ... other that a battery, and clutch and the usual maint and wear & tear itmes that get replaced every couple years.

Anyways, I have learned more from you guys and this site in the last 24 hours and wanted to say "thanks"

Alright ..... now I have to wait 8 hours 'till I get off work to check out the next possible problem.

The battery is fully charged again, so I could go for another ride anyways ...... 'till it dies again

Riding season here is only 7 - 8 months MAX, then its -40C, so not getting to ride sux !!

Thanks guys

Now I need to find where the reg/rec is on the CBR ....... right side huh ?

Old 09-23-2009, 09:06 AM

right side (if youre sitting on it), behind the rear fairing. take that off, and you'll see a couple black boxes. its the skinny one thats not very thick, and its about 2.5" by 2". If you just rode, it should be hot as hell to the touch (unless its already dead lol)

it will look similar to this one: http://www.kc-kwan.com/online/pics/o...r_honda_01.jpg

Last edited by intiractive; 09-23-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:21 AM

My bike did the same thing a couple months ago with a month old battery. It turned out that it was a faulty battery. As soon as I put jumper cables on the bike fired right up no problem. I'd try this first. I was trouble shooting and replacing parts for 2 weeks before I figured it out! Good luck!

Quick Reply: CBR - Quick Thoughts on Issues required !!