CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

CBR F3 Will not start! Backfires, it started and ran fine yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay does anyone really have a clue?
at first my bike was making a loud backfire, after every 30 seconds, now when i try to start it, it doesnt start but it doesnt backfire either. I hope its nothing big? I didnt check the plugs cuz i didnt had the tools today? Hello anyone knows whats going on with my bike?

Old 05-17-2010, 01:55 AM

superlund answer me these questions and I can help you:

Bike is in neutral, choke is off, key on, and power switch on. You press the starter...

What happens?

Do you get a clicking sound? Does the engine try to crank? Do you hear the battery attempt to turn the engine?

Or do you hear nothing?

Old 05-17-2010, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by superlund
now when i try to start it, it doesnt start but it doesnt backfire either.

if it doesn't start, it obviously cannot backfire. So I am unsure what you are exactly trying to say here...

Did you read what we said about the battery? Your starting problems are properly due to a weak battery...

Did ya check the battery? either get a new one or get a trickle charger.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Speedemon636
Dang sorry bout my guess being wrong.. Didn't think about what jpanside said.. Hope his idea is correct..

And as far as the cap sealing I wasn't thinking straight..considering I've fueled my bike with it running I'ma keep my mouth shut for a while lol

lol dont worry about it, we're all actually guessing but we are sincerely trying to help the bro out. thought that counts

Old 05-17-2010, 02:24 AM

Ok so here are the details. When the first time my bike didnt start.
Battery is new and i also recently charged it (so its not the battery).
My starter is working too.

The first time i tried starting, I heard a loud backfire, like a gun shot while the choke was on. Then I turned the choke off and I tried starting, i would hear (kich kich kich) but it wouldnt start, then i will put the choke on and then when i try to start, it backfires again (loud) and the kids are wondering who got shot.

That all happened 2 days ago. Recently, When I try starting it, it doesnt backfire at all (tried it all day) but wouldnt start either. Battery is strong, starter is working fine. Do not know what else could be wrong. However, for once i thought it almost started

Old 05-17-2010, 05:12 AM

Well... I'm pretty novice at this sort of stuff... BUT! I have a theory... first thing I'd do, is try giving the bike throttle while you're holding the starter, just twist it a little, roll off, twist a little, see if that helps, then, if that doesn't work, run with it, til you get roughly 5-10mph (in neutral or 2nd with the clutch in) then kick down into first let the clutch out, and give it a bit o' throttle. Also known as popping the clutch, (which I'm sure you know). If that's not working, and your engine is genuinely trying to turn over... I'd check my fluids first, if my fluids are sufficient, have you checked your starter solenoid? Are all your lights working correctly?

Umm... as for it not even starting now, try taking those spark plugs out, and putting them back in, some of them may not be tight... but that still leaves the problem of the bike backfiring... that's definitely something to do with yer plugs, or timing (usually), as they said valve clearance could also be an issue. This would be a dur-dur-dur question, but I've done it, is your petcock turned on? (It should be off while the bike is parked as to not dirty the carbs) Umm... if that's all fine... I'm not even sure... could have a bad R/R that owned your battery... but I doubt it... if none of that, then... I'm not sure man... best advice I can give besides asking on here is GET A MANUAL!!! It'll do wonders for you.

P.S.

CHECK YOUR FRIKKIN COMPRESSION!!! PLEASE!!

Last edited by Goloth; 05-17-2010 at 06:34 AM. Reason: forgot about compression
Old 05-17-2010, 06:33 AM

This happens to me once a year seems like,,, the plugs are fouled. Beginning of every riding season i dump the old gas if there was any left and change the plugs.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:38 PM

Ok... my turn.
If it just got very flooded, you can clear it by:
1st turning off the fuel tank,
2nd be sure the choke is off,
3rd TWIST and HOLD the throttle all the way open and Crank, baby crank!
If the motor is flooded and the plugs are not too messed up, this clear it.
Once the motor fires, for GOD sake let the throttle close down the RPM!
Don't laugh, I seen people hold their RPM's up so high on a cold motor, piston skirts shot out of the carb throats! TOAST!

Other possibility is, someone is jerking with you by switching your firing order. It's pretty funny until it happens to you.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Procrastinator
Ok... my turn.
If it just got very flooded, you can clear it by:
1st turning off the fuel tank,
2nd be sure the choke is off,
3rd TWIST and HOLD the throttle all the way open and Crank, baby crank!
If the motor is flooded and the plugs are not too messed up, this clear it.
Once the motor fires, for GOD sake let the throttle close down the RPM!
Don't laugh, I seen people hold their RPM's up so high on a cold motor, piston skirts shot out of the carb throats! TOAST!

Other possibility is, someone is jerking with you by switching your firing order. It's pretty funny until it happens to you.

man i have tried every fucckin thing , i even did this, but i think my engine is hella flooded, i wanna inspect the spark plugs but i dont have the right tools and dont know where to get them from. what do u mean by the last statement

Old 05-17-2010, 08:22 PM

Well... Sometimes a good buddy or stinkin' kid will remove the spark plug wires and switch them around on you when you are not looking... for fun.

Quick Reply: CBR F3 Will not start! Backfires, it started and ran fine yesterday