CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

CA emissions deletion???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 04:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA emissions deletion???

So, as you may know from my other post, I recently picked up a 97 F3 that threw a rod and needs an engine rebuild. Anyways, I dropped the engine and have been thoroughly checking out the bike. My housemate has an F2, and the previous owner removed all of the extra emissions equiptment from his bike. It makes the bike a lot less cluttered, less complicated and easier to work on. I imagine there is probably a good 5-10 pounds of tubing and parts that could be removed without negativly effecting engine performance, and possibly helping improve performance(as well as less weight). I was wondering if there is any write up or something that tells you step by step what to remove and what you need to do. Let me know if I am way off in doing this, but i think it would make life a lot simpler. His bike runs great without any of the emissions stuff. This is the first time I've worked on a bike, but I restore muscle cars, and the first thing you usually do is remove all the emissions crap (egr system ect.). I presume you can do the same thing for a bike. Is this true? I appreciate any info. thanks, Ryan

Old 08-23-2007, 08:51 AM
Default RE: CA emissions deletion???

no.....I have a 96 f3 and I found out its a cali bike by the emissions crap. We are on the same boat because this is my first real bike but i have restored a 74 camaro. So While I was getting the f3 to run with no tank on it, the first thing I did from instinct was rip all those hoses off. needless to say the bike would not start so i researched and asked a top notch bike mechanic I know and he said they def. need all of that and the airbox in order to run and breathe properly. I put it back on and it would start and idle no problem. I dont know how ur buddy did that with his... unless he has a jet kit or something, but the bike is made to run with that stuff from the factory
[align=left] [/align]

Old 08-23-2007, 09:28 AM

i would be curious to see a write up too for anyone who has done it. are all fitted with the cali emissions junk? my buddy who has a ducati monster is in the process of removing his.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:40 AM

no only the cali model. If someone knows how i would be more then happy to rip mine off, gain a horsepower, and let some smog out
[align=left] [/align]

Old 08-23-2007, 01:38 PM

why do the cali ones have all that emissons stuff? is the air in cali bad or something?

Old 08-23-2007, 01:53 PM

ORIGINAL: madmike01uk

why do the cali ones have all that emissons stuff? is the air in cali bad or something?
we have more vehicles than any other state, yes our pollution is very bad in certain parts of the state where 90% of people live. Mainly the Los Angeles basin, Fresno, San Francisco bay area, Sacramento.

The emissions equipment is good, mostly it reduces evaporation pollution thats it. The bikes don't have smog pumps or cats like cars. Its not going to save you horsepower. It really is not even worth the time it takes to remove it.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:14 PM

from looking through my manual it looks asthough it is designed to remove hydrocarbon emissions that cause cancer.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:57 PM

just noticed this and i am in the process of trying to remove the emissions crap from my bike...so far i've been able to take off the evap canister underneath the bike and the PCV valves. Little problem after that cause i don't have the money for a new carb rack ( the cali model has ALOT of extra vacuum hoses coming off the carbs ). The PAIR control valve underneath the pipes in the front of the bike was another prob cause i needed to wield the plates up. I know that clymer has a webpage for this whole process, but i lost the address...as soon as i find it, i'll be sure to post it.

Hope this helps!