CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Buying A Bike - Opinions/Concerns/Good Deal ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying A Bike - Opinions/Concerns/Good Deal ?

Im looking at this bike.

1998 CBR 600 F3 Smoke Joe Edition. I want to go back and look at the VIN and make sure its a Smokin Joe but the Odometer reads 2500. Dealership wants $3K out the door. Good deal ?

Just for kicks cuz i know you guys like nice cars. This is the car i rode over to said dealership with. Its awesome.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

that IS a sharp-looking example of the bike, and very low mileage. that's a high price for that model year bike, but it's a dealership and they're gonna argue that desirability and good condition determine the high value.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:57 AM

I read somewhere that Smoking Joe bikes have a 253 in the VIn instead of a normal 250 number. Also read that they only made 1500 Smokin Joe bikes.

Its like 2500 plus taxes and tags, Bike originally was 2995 + all the taxes and stuff coming to about 3600 but i have connections at that dealership.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:03 PM

I think that is a very good deal for the bike. It seems to be very clean and with that low a mileage its worth every bit that much to me. If it had 20k miles and was beat up I could see less. For all purposes the bike has barely been taken out and was taken care of. Yes you can buy a newer bike for not much more probably but a new bike in this condition with this low miles will be much more than a little more. I say go for it but you make the choice that works for you. Hope it's as clean in person as it looks in the pic.

Originally Posted by Worstenemy453
Im looking at this bike.

1998 CBR 600 F3 Smoke Joe Edition. I want to go back and look at the VIN and make sure its a Smokin Joe but the Odometer reads 2500. Dealership wants $3K out the door. Good deal ?

Just for kicks cuz i know you guys like nice cars. This is the car i rode over to said dealership with. Its awesome.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:05 PM

Its actually cleaner in person IMO. The only things i noticed is that the upper tree is scratched from keys. The wheels aren't original smokin joe edition wheels. The camel stickers on the front fairing actually shouldnt be there i dont think. The pipe is an older Yoshi R&D pipe.

Amazingly, both of those pictures are cell phone pictures = )

Old 11-05-2010, 12:14 PM

Would this be a good learner bike. Id tint the windshield, D&D pipe most likely, frame sliders, the manual cam adjuster mod thing i read about in the tech articles. Other than that and some other cosmetic stuff i would most likely leave it alone.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:25 PM

Id leave it alone. You will have to cut into the fairings I believe for frame sliders. Bike looks legit. Make sure the vin is a sje vin.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:36 PM

The f3 is a great bike to learn on. As far as mods if you leave it alone for the most part you will yield the most money when try to resell it. Bike is very clean but remember - this bike is 12 years old. I have a 96 and it is 14 years old. My bike runs like a champ regardless of this but it is NOT fuel injected and when I try to sell it I definitely won't see any kind of turn around. With all that said this bike is great and get it if you can talk the dealer down just a little - Or get them to throw in some free stuff.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by billetproof97
Id leave it alone. You will have to cut into the fairings I believe for frame sliders. Bike looks legit. Make sure the vin is a sje vin.
What does a sje edition vin look like compared to a regular.

To be honest. Id rather cut a little bit for frame sliders that to risk laying it down and completely killing my plastics.

Originally Posted by mdunning
The f3 is a great bike to learn on. As far as mods if you leave it alone for the most part you will yield the most money when try to resell it. Bike is very clean but remember - this bike is 12 years old. I have a 96 and it is 14 years old. My bike runs like a champ regardless of this but it is NOT fuel injected and when I try to sell it I definitely won't see any kind of turn around. With all that said this bike is great and get it if you can talk the dealer down just a little - Or get them to throw in some free stuff.
Ill see what i can do on a helmet and stuff, i just want a basic helmet cuz im going to get it customized to match the bike.

If i do any mods i am keeping the stock pieces. I doubt ill sell the bike any time soon.

Ill be honest too, im a sentimental type person. Whatever bike i get will be my first bike and it wont be leaving me. It wont be my last but itll always be mine.

Last edited by IDoDirt; 11-06-2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Multiple sequential posts
Old 11-05-2010, 07:05 PM

Do yourself a favor and forget the frame sliders. Take the plastics off and ride it naked for a while. Cutting the plastics on a sje isn't recommended imo

Quick Reply: Buying A Bike - Opinions/Concerns/Good Deal ?