CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

bought another CBR this one non running anyone want to help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 02:10 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gamekiller7
Well I decided to just bring the carbs into the shop down the road quoted me 100-120 till he looked at the carbs and said he might have to ultrasonic clean then. Is this something I have to have done?
Or you could buy a motion pro carb sync and all of the carb cleaner you want for a LOT less money, do it yourself, and learn something. Am I correct in saying that this bike doesn't have to be on the road quickly?

Sync'ing the carbs is something that has to be done while the bike is running and warmed up, and after a complete tear-down and cleaning, it's a must. So factor that into the cost as well.

It's ridiculous what shops want for cleaning carbs. I did it for a few neighbors for $15 because I was bored on a Saturday! By all means, if you think you're going to break something, take it to a shop. But just remember about the sync, and that there isn't a guarantee (I've had to fix shops' mistakes for friends before).

As far as ultrasonic - post some pictures with the bowls off and lets see!

Last edited by Conrice; 09-17-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bowls were a little green and had some crud in the hole at the bottom just spraying carb cleaner at it got most of it. Can't throw pictures up because there already at the shop.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:15 PM

Yea babbits wanted 200-250. Local shop I trust wanted 100. No brainer their. Lol but he quoted me an extra 100 for that ultrasonic clean I didn't know if that's something my carbs have to have cause from what I've read online no one else is doing that.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by gamekiller7
Lol but he quoted me an extra 100 for that ultrasonic clean I didn't know if that's something my carbs have to have cause from what I've read online no one else is doing that.
Maybe not for your traditional carbs like we have, but look at this set from an old Kan-o-Tuna. Lots of people have to use ultrasonic cleaning on them.

Name:  100_4188-1.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  24.8 KB

If fuel really gums that up (at the elbow, closest to us in the picture), you can't really blow that out or get physical (like copper wire) with it. And since it's plastic, you can't really soak it in an abrasive cleaner like you can with the jets, hence ultrasonic cleaners.

I don't really understand why they use a vacuum assist to get fuel into the carbs like that (and why you'd need it on a Kat 750 engine???) - but none the less, we don't have an assembly like that, so unless there was some venturi or something that he didn't think he could physically clean, we don't need ultrasonic cleaners (which are just repurposed jewelry cleaners, btw).

Old 09-17-2014, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

I purchased a small 2 quart Ultrasonic Cleaner from Harbor Freight. It's nice to have and use because it does a really nice job on those small tiny holes that are easily clogged like the 2 you see in the photo below. You're not going to be able to poke a wire inside there to clean them out. I think $100 is crazy money to charge to do that extra step though.

Name:  DSC04637-1.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  35.1 KB
Those two little holes at the base of the brass butterfly are easily clogged.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:34 PM

Well he said he would have to take them all apart to do it cause he couldn't let any plastics be in it.

I love this forum tho everyone is always so helpful. Makes me not want to get anything but a cbr. Lol well that and I love these machines.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:01 PM

Well got the carbs back from the shop today he said they were terrible no wonder it wouldn't idle. Gunna slap em on when I get home I'll let everyone know if I get it running. Gotta slap my hid projector in this bike now to.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

I'm guessing the mechanic separated the rail. If so, you will need to bench synch the carbs and then again once they are on the bike.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
I'm guessing the mechanic separated the rail. If so, you will need to bench synch the carbs and then again once they are on the bike.
Yeah, I doubt he had an ultrasonic cleaner that big.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

When you put the carburetors back on the bike, naturally the bowls will be empty of fuel. That means that it can take a bit for the fuel pump (which doesn't prime like a fuel injected bike) to fill them with fuel.

To help in that situation, you can temporarily bypass the Fuel Cut-Off relay (located on right side of bike next to the R/R) by disconnecting the relay, and jumping across the Black and Black/Blue wires. This will cause the fuel pump to run as soon as you turn on the ignition key. In 10 or 15 seconds the bowls should be full and you should be able to start the bike with the choke on pretty easily.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Quick Reply: bought another CBR this one non running anyone want to help?