CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Bleeding those brake lines!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 12:48 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bleeding those brake lines!

This isn't a tutorial of any sort, but rather a few useful tips when bleeding your brakes!

1) Prep is always key. Use as many papertowels / rags or whatever to keep that DOT4 from getting everywhere!

Name:  P1200001.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  95.6 KB

Name:  P1200002.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  62.0 KB

Name:  P1200003.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  56.3 KB

2) If DOT4 gets on your fairings, quickly wipe it off and make sure there is no residue. Keep in mind it can and will get everywhere, and it will stay on your bike for what seems like FOREVER. This stuff eats paint like a fat kid eats cake! You can see what it did to the edges of my fuse panel

Name:  P1200004.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  71.6 KB

Name:  P1200005.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  75.9 KB

3) Wear protective gear (Nitrile Gloves) . I didn't. Got a booboo.

Name:  P1200006.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  54.1 KB

4) And use a pump for the lines. 40 bucks shipped is WELL worth the price. That stuff in your mouth is like... well I'm sure some of you kids can guess what it's like.

Name:  P1200007.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  92.3 KB

So be safe, and have fun, and be safe again!

Old 01-20-2010, 11:57 AM

+1 on all this. Looks like you got the same cheapo vacuum pump that I got from Autozone, works like a charm!

A couple comments to back this up...

I had the same issue getting some small drops of brake fluid on my fairings. Got most of it off, but missed a couple of hidden places and not only does it pull the paint off the plastic, but it makes the plastic VERY brittle. BE CAREFUL WITH BRAKE FLUID AROUND YOUR FAIRINGS. Those paper towels around the MC are a great idea. I think next time I have to bleed brakes on a bike I might even go with some kind of plastic wrap. Brake fluid is dangerous.

Also, the nitrile gloves. Do it. Lots of sharp edges. Really, this is a must for most any involved job on a bike. Particularly here, because brake fluid is pretty toxic and very nasty stuff when you get prolonged contact.

Finally, I'd be careful with that light so close to all that plastic. Looks like that thing can throw off some serious heat and warp/melt some plastic.

p.s. Nice little how-to!

Old 01-20-2010, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbear
Finally, I'd be careful with that light so close to all that plastic. Looks like that thing can throw off some serious heat and warp/melt some plastic.
Probably just pulled it from his hydroponic setup
Good "How To" spicymeowmix

Old 01-20-2010, 04:33 PM

haha not much of a how to but thanks, just showing some problems I ran into when doing it so others learn from my mistakes

Old 01-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm... that orange jacket looks female... How the hell do you guys convince your gals to let you bring a bike in the house?!?

When I mentioned bringing my bike in overnight to work on the harness, my gf started reaching for my gun (she's terrified of it unless its in the holster). That was the loudest "Hell no!" I've ever heard her not say

Old 01-20-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Hmm... that orange jacket looks female... How the hell do you guys convince your gals to let you bring a bike in the house?!?

When I mentioned bringing my bike in overnight to work on the harness, my gf started reaching for my gun (she's terrified of it unless its in the holster). That was the loudest "Hell no!" I've ever heard her not say
bike > girl.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spicymeowmix
bike > girl.
Not this girl. If my bike was my only means of transportation and somehow blew up overnight, my girl would go buy another for me. Heck she bought all my gear when I first got the bike

So I guess she can have floors without tire tracks. Weird thing is we rent, my landlord is my best friend and he said it'd be cool if I wanted to bring the bike inside for the winter

Old 01-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Nice job. I too would offer something in addition to the other comments. Before I start, I get some aluminum foil to cover up the tank, fairing and clip-ons. The foil is nice in that it forms easily and stays in place. It is impervious to any of the fluids that might spill and with an additional cover of paper towels, that will absorb drips. The foil is usually around the house somewhere anyway. Cheep too.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Not this girl. If my bike was my only means of transportation and somehow blew up overnight, my girl would go buy another for me. Heck she bought all my gear when I first got the bike

So I guess she can have floors without tire tracks. Weird thing is we rent, my landlord is my best friend and he said it'd be cool if I wanted to bring the bike inside for the winter
maybe consider making your own pad outside, that's what I did for mine!
and i have a tarped roof, and my bike sits by my window.
Wood ramps are also easy

Name:  pad.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  99.1 KB

Old 01-20-2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
Nice job. I too would offer something in addition to the other comments. Before I start, I get some aluminum foil to cover up the tank, fairing and clip-ons. The foil is nice in that it forms easily and stays in place. It is impervious to any of the fluids that might spill and with an additional cover of paper towels, that will absorb drips. The foil is usually around the house somewhere anyway. Cheep too.
never even thought about using aluminum foil, good advice!

Quick Reply: Bleeding those brake lines!