CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Bike wants to start, but doesnt..HELP A NEWBIE OUT!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Bike wants to start, but doesnt..HELP A NEWBIE OUT!!

I got a 95 f3 yesterday. When the dude brought it here, it started up after a few trys and ran damn near perfect. I tried to run it today, and it wouldnt start up. It sounded like it wanted to run and backfired a whole bunch. Could this be something stupid?

This is my first street bike, so I dont know much. ANY suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:40 PM

Sell it to me for 500 bucks..

Old 02-07-2009, 03:06 PM

haha..

Old 02-07-2009, 07:32 PM

Not sure if this will help or not, but you might want to reference chapter 20 (troubleshooting) out of the F3 manual available from this site (LINK).

Good luck!

Old 02-07-2009, 09:45 PM

Thanks alot. Ill check that out. Someone had the same problem I saw on another site and it was the plugs. Im gonna pull em tomorrow. Thats probably gonna be it since I cranked the bike so much. It was choked most of the time too.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by jvoxf3
Thanks alot. Ill check that out. Someone had the same problem I saw on another site and it was the plugs. Im gonna pull em tomorrow. Thats probably gonna be it since I cranked the bike so much. It was choked most of the time too.
Since you are planning to pull plugs, best of luck. It is a painful process on the F3. The ones on the outsides of the bike are easy enough, but the two interior ones be a pain to get at. What I do is drop a deep-well socket into a plug hole (my standard plug socket does NOT work for this task), then attach an extension to that, and then finally attach a ratchet to the top of the extension.

Extracting them can take a bit of finesse, though, because you will need to keep some sideways pressure on each plug in order to keep it in the socket while attempting to disassemble your extension from the socket as you work in the TINY amount of space for the task.

Just thought I would let you know what you are getting into. The first time I did it, I had no clue how to get at #3 and spent like 30 minutes fighting with it.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:27 AM

Damn. I always seem to get pain in the *** vehicles haha.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:16 PM

Theres a way easier way to change the inside plugs. First start with your 5/8 deep socket, then swivel extension attached to that then 3" extension on that. Bend at the swivel and put into the plug hole, the put the wrench on that and loosen. Turn by hand, then take the socket out and replace with a 3/8 put back into the plug hole and get it to sit over the top of the plug, put side-ward pressure on the plug and pull out (my take a few tries), your get it though. Your problem sounds very familure to mine, almost exact. Mine would start but ran like crap, cleaned carbs still didnt help. Changed plugs and it runs like a champ. I can change all four plugs and replace in under 25 mins.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:33 PM

Or you can try some 3/8 rubber hose? Not sure if it will work on f3's or not but I know alot of people use rubber hose to extract or to put plugs in hard to reach places

Old 02-08-2009, 10:20 PM

Hey thanks also guys.. Just joined here.. I just bought a '95 F3 also & had the same problem today. Plus are coming out tomorrow!

Quick Reply: Bike wants to start, but doesnt..HELP A NEWBIE OUT!!