CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

bike .... is hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 02:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike .... is hot

I been had a problem wit my bike n overheatin n I been posting it up for about 2 weeks now./. finally a mechanic took a quick look at it at the honda dealer ship..... (a friend of a friend of a friend)..... so he turned my bike on reved it n look n smelled .... he told me da head gasket couldn't be blown because I would of got some mix in the coolant n or something in the oil.... he smelled while it was btwn the h n da c n he said it smells like coolant is burning but from around the raiator cap........ so he told me to change it cuz it might be that........ I haven't done it yet.... but I just wanted to know can it smell like that if the radiator is working properly because I flushed the radiator completly n their was nothing dirty coming out.... but also now wen it gets hot the stupid fan doesn't go on//... so I also wanted to know if any1 knew how a thermostat usually gets messed up.... n or if I can test the fan mayb a conection is messed up or the fan went....(I have a wire tester) .... the radiator it self look kinda messed up because everytime I try to bend the fins they like shater..... so I was wondering can answer those couple of questions n tell me wat I should do?...thanks

Old 06-17-2007, 03:13 AM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: bike .... is hot

Trying to follow your post.... first, don't drink/smoke and post.

I just had a buddy on an F3 freak out because he thought it was over heating. If it's not in the red, it's not over heating. I helped him flush it and add new coolant with water weter.

The fan doesn't kick on until it's hot, for example, mine (05RR) kicks on at 219. The therosat opens at about 185 I believe. So that means the coolant isn't flowing until it's hot. Sport bikes are designed to run at high temps. I just looked yours up, the F3 starts to open at 176-183 and is fully open at 203

As for how a thermostat messes up... metal spring sitting in water for years.... that one kind of answers itself.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a smell happening as the coolant vents, but lifting the radiator cap would make it happen anyway.
If the pressure cap is rooted, then you get that smell as the coolant gets by the cap. This would show up as your reserve bottle gets low. I change my coolant every two years. Even same year & make bikes run at different temps, as long as its not running up to red your fine.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:16 AM

Sorry, but if you're coming here for help do you think you could use a couple more fingers when you're typing out a post?

I've wanted to use that picture for a while now

Old 06-17-2007, 09:30 AM

I call bullshi(r)t on the theory that you can't have a blown head gasket unless there is a mix of oil in coolant or vise versa. If the gasket is leaking right at the cylinder, it will leak right into the cylinder and be burned off in the combustion process. I would say though that the cheapest try at fixing would be a new t-stat, coolant, and rad cap.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:14 PM

Alright,I put new coolant in the radiator part, then i added coolant to the reserve tank to the higher level. I then turned the bike on reved it a couple of times till it got to normal temperature. and then shut it of. i waited 30 seconds and then i twist the cap off and i heard like an air noise and i heard the reserve tank make a bubling noise. I then took off the radiator cap of and their was no coolant in their and the reserve tank was a little bit lower but hardly noticable. I then touch the radiator the side part of the radiator clser to radiator cap was cool but then i check the other side of the radiator and it was warm. then i went to the water pump and touch it and it was pretty hot and also all the hoses contacted to it were hot. I then started feeling around for any leaks, their was like a very small drop of coolant on the bottom part of water pump. But the person before me drop the bike and it looks like their is sratches on the bottom part... I think if change the ring inside the water pump i wont get any little drips... but it still looks preety stracth up.. so id ont know if thats gonna work.... Is the water pump working? Why isnt the coolant raising on the way up to the tube of the radiator where the cap is located like normal? Why is one part of the radiator hotter then the other side? How can I check if the fan Really works?.......( i have a new thermostat i just put in) tHANKS
My bike has 12,000 miles on it
o YEAH my spelling is chopped up because i use my side kick to post things up because i just moved into my new apt n hav no internet yet.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:10 PM

One half of the radiator is hot or warm because the water pump is trying to push the warm liquid from the engine through one side and suck the cool stuff back out the other. the noise you heard is the coolant getting sucked into the water passages. What you need to do is start the bike with the cap off and add coolant as you see it getting sucked in. Have someone stand behind the bike and see what they smell. If they smell anything sweet smelling or other than exhaust, youhave a blown head gasket. (or hold you hand behind the exhaust and see if you have condensation start forming.)

If you are losing as much water as you say you are, you'll see or smell stuff coming out the back pipe. You may also want to pull the T-stat out just so you know that the coolant is circulating correctly.

Also, speaking in general about 4 cycle engines, if you got it hot enough to boil out all the coolant, the head may be warped, or the block could have a crack in it. If you are lucky, a head gasket would be the only problem.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:02 AM

I find on my bike the fan kicks in at 3/4 and then shuts off when it is back down to 1/2.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:24 PM

Itook my thermostat out a brand new thermostat out. I look at it and it was bent. The middle part before the spring was bent and their was no coolant in the thermostat part of the bike. Y was their no coolant in the thermostat part and why was my 54 dollar thermostat bent???[:@]

Old 06-18-2007, 02:45 PM

One- Your theromostat is bad
two - You installed it wrong.