CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

bike is hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike is hot

My bike is getting hot ...... I change my thermostat n also bought the 20 dollar collant in it but wen I put it in I put some in the radiator n filled it to high on the coolant tank then I road it n it raised over the high level so I drained some out n left it on the lower level.... when I drove the bike it got hot again I pulled over n the coolant was all the way hitting the high line so I let the bike cool down n it went back to the lower level.... is that normal for the coolant to do that n also my bike shows that it has very little oil but I just change the oil n the filter n the light doesn't come on to tell me it has no oil....n would this make the bike over heat.....should I put more oil in or if it does hav sufficent oil n I put more oil in wouldn't it mess the engine up n really overheat

Old 06-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: bike is hot

remember that you need to check the oil level when the bike is leveled out (how it would be if you were sitting on it riding)

so the temp gauge is showing that it is hot (where is the needle @) ? and you replaced the thermostat, flushed the radiaor .. is your water pump leaking ?does it get hot when riding in traffic as well on the freeway ? whats the weather like ?

Old 06-06-2007, 04:59 PM

there are two little lines on the bottom of your dipstick the oil should be about mid of them . are you screwing on the coolant cap securely ? how fast are you normally goin when the bike is heating up .

Old 06-06-2007, 06:10 PM

the needle is 3 quarters up n it turns on the fan when it gets their but ifi drive it in first it will keeping rising till i putit into second... it drops down when i get on the freeway... and their is also nothing leaking out of the bike....Outside: its about 70 degrees its not that hot out............................................The dipstick is showing very little oil but would that make the bike overheat....................And is the coolant supposed to raise like that

Old 06-06-2007, 06:24 PM

The coolant will raise and lower hence the hot fill indicator and the cold fill. As for the oil the light, itcomes on due to a lack of pressure not necessarily volume. Best way to check the level is to use a bike stand (one that holds it upright rather than the side stand) but if you don't have that just have a buddy sit on it. I don't have the manula in front of me but I believe it is to be checked by just placing the dip stick in loosely NOT with it screwed down all the way but just double check the manual. The bike running hot could be due to air/fuel mix causing it to run too lean...check your spark plugs for indications of a lean condition.

You don't say if this is a new condition or if it has always been this way...

Old 06-06-2007, 06:56 PM

When i do have it upright it says it has little oil but i dont think it will effect how hot the bike gets..does it?.....by air n fuel mix....... my keys where stolen the other day so i stuck a screwdriver in my gas tank to open it... and i do smell a little gas when i ride but does that effect it?............this just started happening but i cant remember when n how.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

oil does lubricate so its possible you could be over heating because of the oil level but its sound slike something else is the problem and we dont have all the info

Old 06-06-2007, 11:34 PM

It also gets hot when I rev the bike in neutrol

Old 06-06-2007, 11:39 PM

CAn it be that i hav to much oil

Old 06-07-2007, 03:28 AM

did you check to see the oil level between the two marks on the dipstick put it centered n check .its a bike you will smell slight gas.are you overheating while on the move like above 35 mph or while sitting in traffic ?