CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Bike is dead

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike is dead

My bike has been loosing its charge for a while and I was planning on replacing both the rr and stator when winter comes. Haven't had any trouble with simply trickle charging the battery every few weeks. Well one day after a charge I plugged the battery back in, but when I flipped they key to on...nothing not even the light would come on as if a battery wasn't even in it. So I ordered in both a new rr and stator. RR came in today so went out and replaced it, mabye the rr was simply the solution. When I unplugged it the plug looked like this....and the rr had junk on one of the prongs too.....plugged new one it and same result....nothing not even lights came on. Stator hasn't come in yet but hoping you guy can tell me if what's up with the fried looking rr plug....I'm guessing this is what's causing it, suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails Bike is dead-image.jpg  
Old 10-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Hmmm, burned up connector....
That's a really common thing to happen. You will need to replace the connector or bypass it. There are many threads on charging systems with details on bypassing it.

As far as no power goes, sounds like you blew the main fuse. That is provided your battery has power in it and the cables are making good connection.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:53 PM

I'll check the fuse, and for the connector that would mean cutting this one off and sotering a new one on?

Edit: checked the fuses and their all fine, even replaced em one by one and nothing. Is there a main fuse I can look at to see if its blown? Also what causes the connector to fry like that, same with the fuse? Thanks for the help I relay don't know a thing bout bikes.

Last edited by Stukas87; 10-19-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

There is a main fuse that is not in the fuse box. It is what feeds the power to the other fuses. Replacing the connector is best, but some just put on spade connectors and connect them individually then use tape to hold them in place.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Dead bike is blown main fuse. It's hidden on the Start Relay in front of the battery. You can get to it from the side, but it's a little tight.

Name:  DSC04625.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  53.2 KB

Old 10-19-2012, 07:30 PM

Oooh ok yea I've seen exactly were that's at, I'm guessing any bike shop would have another fuse. As far as the connector fried will that have a huge effect on the bike starting and what not?

Old 10-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

No, it won't affect the bike starting at all. However, poor contact on that connector will prevent your battery from charging properly and will lead to poor/hard starting, and eventually a dead battery.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:57 PM

So THAT'S what's been probly causing my battery to discharge so fast. Still had an extra fuse for the main fuse and yup it starts, well it's cold as ***** but light turns on and such. Will that fried conecter mess with my rr and stator?

And thanks you so much for the help, I looked in my book for the bike and wasn't much help, just told me how to test if it works and how to replace lil things so.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Official Krazy Member

That could mess with either. The main thing you gotta worry about is when a connector fries like that, there was most likely a lot of heat on the wire already. The same thing happened on my wife's car on the connector for her blower motor. The wires themselves were burnt a few inches back from the connector. They were slightly blackened right at the connector, but when I bent the wire just a little even 3 inches back from the plug, the insulation just cracked and fell off. I had to replace that section of wire when I replaced the connector. You'll definitely want to check for anything like that because it could cause grounding issues on those wires and could cause new components to burn out. No worries, though. A little solder and some heat shrink tubing and you'll be good to go on that end. As far as the plug itself, a few small spade connectors soldered on with a short piece of heatshrink tubing work just fine. That's basically all the connector is, just in a structured form. There are plenty of write-ups all over the forum about replacing these. It was a very common problem due to a "brain-fart" Honda had when making those back in the day. As I understand it, the originals usually get around 35k on the clock before they fail.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:06 PM

Ok, well I think when my plug and gasket come in and after everything is installed I should be good. Thanks you guys again for the awesome help!

Quick Reply: Bike is dead