CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

bad gas. puzzled.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad gas. puzzled.

so i let my 95 f3 600 sit for about 3 months as i worked out of town and got occupied by other things. well there was hardly any gas in the tank so i got some new gas and poured about 1/8 of a tank in there. tried starting last night on multiple attempts; nothing happened. put a battery charger on it over night and tried again today. still nothing. so i drained the float bowl on #2 carb, and it was really yellowish/brownish. didnt smell like gasoline at all. well i dont have a long screw driver or japanese hands to get to them all, just #2 from the left side. i pulled the plugs, and they look perfect. not wet at all. tried starting, nothing happens. i dump the bowl on #2 after every 2-3 starting attempts. well ive dumped it about 15 times now and the gas is still yellowish/brownish. i even poured out a sample of gas from my gas can that i got the gas in for the bike, and it was a healthy greenish/bluish like normal. what i dont get is after 2 days of trying to start it, is that it is still pouring out nasty looking gas out the float bowl? and why arent my plugs getting fowled? i opened the gas tank, shined my LED flash light in there, and the gas level has dropped by about 1/4 (.25) of an inch, so i know its sucking it into the system. when i try starter fluid through the ram air duct, it revs to about 3k rpm and dies, so i know the spark plugs are firing. im going outside after this to take the tank off and drain it, and take the fuel lines off and drain them, and dump all the float bowls and start from scratch. i guess im more pissed off / puzzled than really having a question. anyone go through this before?

Old 10-02-2010, 09:37 PM

Gas usually doesn't go bad that fast... you could try seafoaming it to see if it'll clear it out... pour 1/8 gas to the tank then 1/4 bottle seafoam it'll kinda clear out the system.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you tried keeping the choke on while spraying and starting? I had to do this numerous times before my bro's bike finally decided to start for good.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by kerosene
Gas usually doesn't go bad that fast... you could try seafoaming it to see if it'll clear it out... pour 1/8 gas to the tank then 1/4 bottle seafoam it'll kinda clear out the system.
id go with this recommendation from kerosene. just went through this in the past week with my brothers bike. get all the fuel out and fill it up with fresh stuff. then get some seafoam from napa. worked for me. although u probably have a plugged up jet(highly doubt the fuel is bad after 3months) u might as well just get the gas out of there and let the seafoam do its job. good stuff. and make sure the petcock is in the right position (not being a smart ***)

Old 10-03-2010, 09:38 AM

thanks i'll try the seafoam. yeah the carbs were cleaned about 3-4 months ago right around when i stopped messing with it, and it ran perfectly. i ripped the gas tank and air box off last night, and drained all the fuel lines and fuel pump. the f'ing screws on the rest of the float bowls were jammed shut. i couldnt put enough *** on the screw driver to break them loose.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:21 PM

This might be corrosion of the tank on the inside. When we stable the bike for the winter here in the north, its good practise to fill the tank to the brim, to avoid having "dry" surfaces on the inside where the tank is untreated steel surface. Some people also add anticorrosion liquid to the gas just to be sure.
I dont know if you noticed anything on the internal sides of the tank, but its most likely in the top, if you can get your hands on a small dental-style mirror, you can inspect and see whats what.

Best of luck mate!

Old 10-03-2010, 01:52 PM

I live in Chicago, what I do for all my bikes is pour full gas then 1/2 bottle seafoam as stabilizer, so far has worked very well... but my bike is also in a heated garage during the winter.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:55 AM

your carbs are dirty and your jets are clogged, clean them.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on what Kerosene says , seafoam , good stuff and a great fuel stabilizer anytime
a bike is laid up for winter.