CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Anything else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 03:19 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Anything else?

ok well got a bike cbr 600 f3 ft, (awesome) so far upgraded: air filter, oil filter, brake lines now braided, head bearings now tapered, carbs tuned, new downpipes and performance can, changed levers, ordered new sparks, vinyl wrap and new cbr decals are on there way, redone seat, good tyres and a spare for the rear ready and a few bits of paint need doing as well.

Now this is my first proper bike have i missed anything thats worth doing?

Many thanks
Kieran

Old 08-27-2012, 06:57 PM

upgrade to a beefy gsxr reg/req or do what i did and buy one from electrosport. manual cam chain tensioner to replace the automatic tensioner.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:41 AM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by colorado_steve
upgrade to a beefy gsxr reg/req or do what i did and buy one from electrosport. manual cam chain tensioner to replace the automatic tensioner.
lol thanks but I've only been riding a few weeks i don't wanna go to beefy yet lol the chain seems perfect, is it worth changing it to a manual one then?

Old 08-28-2012, 08:23 AM

doesn't mattter if you been riding for a week or a year, put a reg/req on there with some heat sinking because the stock one will burn up at some point. how do you know the cam chain seems perfect? (its inside the motor).... either way get a manual tensioner, because if the automatic one ever fails your motor is gonna blow up

Old 08-29-2012, 08:20 AM
Registered Users
Red face

Originally Posted by colorado_steve
doesn't mattter if you been riding for a week or a year, put a reg/req on there with some heat sinking because the stock one will burn up at some point. how do you know the cam chain seems perfect? (its inside the motor).... either way get a manual tensioner, because if the automatic one ever fails your motor is gonna blow up
oh i see whats happened here i got confused because i didn't have a bloody clue what you was talking about it seems! ;-) lol well after making myself look like a tit, i guess i will look into this bits find out what they are then do the work required lol i don't want it going boom its my new baby!

Old 08-29-2012, 12:00 PM

Kieran; The cam chain tensioner is a usual suspect of things that may go wrong with these bikes. It's not going to break your motor when it goes wrong. If it does start becoming a problem, you will hear it at idle when you bikes still a bit cold. If it becomes a issue and you dont fix it, it will eventually get very loud, but shouldn't kill your bike. I had a 95 come thru the junkyard i worked at and it had 60,000 miles and a stock tensioner. Wow that was the loudest motor i had ever heard, but it ran fine, just a huge racket.
Point being, dont be alarmed if yours needs replacement, and your motor will not "blow up" if you dont get it changed out soon. The Regulator upgrade is a worthy mod to do tho, that will go out just like that and leave you on the side of the road with a dead battery. Most importantly, enjoy your new bike!

Old 08-29-2012, 01:34 PM
Registered Users
Smile

Originally Posted by 4ws.ba4 F3
Kieran; The cam chain tensioner is a usual suspect of things that may go wrong with these bikes. It's not going to break your motor when it goes wrong. If it does start becoming a problem, you will hear it at idle when you bikes still a bit cold. If it becomes a issue and you dont fix it, it will eventually get very loud, but shouldn't kill your bike. I had a 95 come thru the junkyard i worked at and it had 60,000 miles and a stock tensioner. Wow that was the loudest motor i had ever heard, but it ran fine, just a huge racket.
Point being, dont be alarmed if yours needs replacement, and your motor will not "blow up" if you dont get it changed out soon. The Regulator upgrade is a worthy mod to do tho, that will go out just like that and leave you on the side of the road with a dead battery. Most importantly, enjoy your new bike!
thanks very much for the advice, and I'm definitely enjoying it i will look into the regulator upgrade as a definite! cheers

Old 08-29-2012, 09:24 PM

did mean to make you feel like a tit. after rereading my post i must apologize for coming across like a bit of a dick.

i have not seen a auto tensioner as far gone as 4ws.ba4 has so i guess your motor wont blow, but when i think of cam timing going astray i think of valves hitting pistons.... scary! either way, both the stock reg/req and stock auto tensioner are weak links on higher mileage f3's (fuel pumps too, the contacts burn up)

now lets see a picture of the new machine!!!

Last edited by colorado_steve; 08-29-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:27 AM
Registered Users

lol no problem i was laughing no need to feel bad! and pics will be taken tonight, then work will begin again!

Old 08-31-2012, 02:08 AM
Smile

Hey Steve, i didn't mean to sound dickish myself, and apologize if i did. The bike that I saw/heard the terrible tensioner on was unbelievably loud and rattly at and around idle, but once you revved it up, it didn't make any noise. Not sure when the breaking point would be for on of those, but definitely would make a mess of these motors if it ever did let go completely!

kieran - Always love more pictures. Trying to finish my paint work up and finally take some myself.
Cheers! (As you would say across the pond.)