CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Air guides and hoses...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air guides and hoses...

So, I had all my fairings off the other day and discovered that one of the trapezoid-shaped air filters for the air flow system had no hose coming off it. After researching the service manual, I found that I am missing the Air Guides and hoses that induce air at low speeds (~12mph). The air guides are the pieces that mount the hosing to the underside of the front fairing and I am wondering... does anyone know where I can buy a new/used set of hoses and Air Guides? I truly hate spending money at the dealership. As far as performance, my bike lacks power for about the first 10mph. Is it safe to assume this is due to the missing air guides/hoses...? Any information is greatly appreciated and thanks for the time.
-Six Hundo

Old 06-16-2009, 01:41 AM

I think this is what you're talking about?

http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...1995&fveh=3044

Keep in mind that's for '95-'96. If that's not your year, go to home page and look up yours. Also, as far as no power, do you have a ram air intake box? It's the sloped part connected to the air box in that pic on that site..

Old 06-16-2009, 10:21 AM

Grab the part# off babbitsonline.com, and google around with it.

As for that being the problem, I don't think so. Not having the hose doesn't stop air from getting in, it just stops FILTERED air from getting in. This is generally dangerous, as even a relatively small piece of debris can get in and cause some expensive damage. Maybe the guy that left the hoses off forgot some other things, as well? May want to pull off the tank and airbox and do a decent visual. While your're in there, check your air filter. A slightly clogged one can cause crappy performance at speeds where the Ram system isn't really in effect yet.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Speedemon636
I think this is what you're talking about?

http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...1995&fveh=3044

Keep in mind that's for '95-'96. If that's not your year, go to home page and look up yours. Also, as far as no power, do you have a ram air intake box? It's the sloped part connected to the air box in that pic on that site..
Yes, thats exactly what I'm talking about. I ride a '96 F3, so this will work out perfectly. I do have the ram air intake box, but the air intake tracts are a little corroded where they connect to the ram air intake. Any major problem with this? Thanks for the help.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
Grab the part# off babbitsonline.com, and google around with it.

As for that being the problem, I don't think so. Not having the hose doesn't stop air from getting in, it just stops FILTERED air from getting in. This is generally dangerous, as even a relatively small piece of debris can get in and cause some expensive damage. Maybe the guy that left the hoses off forgot some other things, as well? May want to pull off the tank and airbox and do a decent visual. While your're in there, check your air filter. A slightly clogged one can cause crappy performance at speeds where the Ram system isn't really in effect yet.
Thanks for the reply. Luckily, the little trapezoid-filter is still there. I'm just missing the hoses that run to the front of the bike and the Air Guides. Wouldn't this mean that the air is still getting filtered, its just being induced from underneath my seat rather than a solid stream being induced from the openings on the front of the bike? I made a thorough inspection after realizing these hoses were missing for any other missing elements... everything else is accounted for except for some fairing screws. Also, the airbox is in good shape and the filter doesn't appear to be clogged. Can I clean the filter myself or is it something that must be replaced? Thanks again for the help.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by SixHundo
but the air intake tracts are a little corroded where they connect to the ram air intake. Any major problem with this?
I don't think so just as long as there are no cracks in it. Might take it off real quick and give it a nice clean up and a once over to make sure.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:05 PM

+1 on Speedemon's response. But if you're ordering hoses and they're cheap, you may as well get those too.

If the triangular filter is there, you're OK. As for airbox filters, most people don't knwo how to spot a bad one. If it's any significant color other than white (yellow, grey, brown, etc), replace it. Don't wait until a family of mice build a nest in there to decide that it's clogged. Remember, that bike is liek a massive vaccuum cleaner, and sucks a crapload of air through that filter every time you drive. The only airbox filters you can clean are from K&N, and you still need a cleaning kit to do it. I'd throw the filter out and replace it with a K&N one regardless, since you're in there. They're one of the cheapest and easiest performance upgrades you can do. Also, how many miles do your plugs have on them? I doubt they're the problem, but something to think about.

Also, in that airbox, is the little foam baffle in back of the ram intake in place? That's necessary for proper air deflection inside the box.

I'm really starting to suspect your slow jets may be clogged. Replace those hoses and air filter, and if that doesn't do it, you're probably looking at a carb cleaning. That bike should be knocking you to the back of the seat right off the line if you gun it. lagging under 10MPH is not normal at all.

Last edited by johnnyx; 06-16-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:15 PM

Good News! I found a complete set of air hoses, including the valve assembly, for $35 thru a local on craigslist. I picked it all up tonight, but unfortunately it is raining, so the project will have to wait for tomorrow. I will post tomorrow to update on the progress and outcomes. I truly appreciate the advice and words of wisdom... Thank you.

Last edited by SixHundo; 06-16-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:18 PM

Awesome! Glad the info was helpful. Good luck!

Old 06-17-2009, 08:29 AM

Rain? You must be in the upper Midwest. We've had a grand total of FOUR good riding days this season :/ :/ :/

Quick Reply: Air guides and hoses...