CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

98 f3 stumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting. i did have gasoline in my sub intake hose. However, ive taken my carbs apart twice and had the same results. except no fuel in line. I dont know.....i really think it has something to do with the pump. sometimes theres no fuel in the filter and sometimes there is. the bike seemed to run good when the filter was emty and the pump was working away. when the filter is filled, the pump works every 7 or 8 seconds.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:23 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michaud85
hey dude i had the same thing happen to me it was because my engine got flooded. it flooded so bad that my plugs fouled and somehow i got gas into the airflow line for above 12mph. just take out ur carbs check the float levels make sure they all hang about the same length. and make sure u check those air hoses for fluids because your situatiuons sounds alot lke mine.

i fixed it by checking the float levels and the needle inlets, and cleaning the bowls since i was already there, i used compressed air to blow through all the air hoses and replaced my plugs. put the choke on open the throttle all the way and try to start it. as soon as she starts let off the throttle and let her sit. turn the choke offf when necessary and just let her idle and see if she dies.if she doesnt then take her for a ride
+1

Old 05-31-2010, 08:34 PM

flooding does sound like a possibility. I didnt see any adjustments that could be made with the floats when i dissasembled. I dont see it in the manual either. the needle seems to fumble around in a plastic slot.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by hotducati
flooding does sound like a possibility. I didnt see any adjustments that could be made with the floats when i dissasembled. I dont see it in the manual either. the needle seems to fumble around in a plastic slot.
hold the carbs up in the air with the bowls off oriented like they would be on your bike and see if any of the floats hang lower then the others. if they dont you dont have a float problem. make sure the needle plunger is slotted in the float and not just chillen by itself.

i dont know exactly what you mean by fumbling around but i think you should double check and make sure they are slotted correctly.

when trying to start ur bike choke it and open the throttle all the way till it starts. this is the method of starting a bike with a flooded engine, i read about it in my haynes manual

i dont think the problem is your pump you have many signs of engine flooding which would mean that ur pump is doing a great job

Last edited by Michaud85; 06-01-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:05 PM

thx everyone for all the help so far.

Ill check the floats again tomorrow. Meanwhile. i installed a new fuel filter. bike stays started atleast today in the garage. put the pilots in at 1 3/4 out. no fuel in the sub air system yet. I have to take for test ride.

As far as the needles that sit in the floats.....the floats just have these plastic flanges and the needle loosely sits in the groove. Ive always seen them clip on the floats...

Ill give heads up how it goes tomorrow.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:39 PM

hello everyone,

well, took the carbs off again and floats looked fine. still back in position 1 except its not sputtering out and dying after 5 minutes of running. now it seems just sluggish on acceleration like before. all the way up the rpm range.

2 questions. I noticed when the fuel filter (new) is not filled with fuel the fuel pump is pumping fast. when its full the pump is pumping every 3 seconds or so. should there be no air in the fuel filter?

Next. i took off all the lines to the air system pump. it doesnt do anything. should that be pumping all time....when does it start pumping? i thought at idle its suppose to be supplementing air? i blew into one of the lines that splits into the carbs and fuel blasted up the intake housing.....shouldnt that be all air? or does that line push air to get fuel moving?

Im so stumped on this its killing me..... i cant afford to replace everything on the motor.....any other suggestions would be great.

chris

Old 06-05-2010, 09:07 AM

bump:

anyone have any other ideas?

Old 06-05-2010, 10:46 AM

Is the inside or your tank rusty?
Mine was and the petcock filter sock was wasted.
You should be able to see all of that by looking into your filler with a flashlight.

As far as air bubbles in the filter. That is totally normal.
Have taken the fuel line off and run the fuel pump into a cup to see the difference between gravity flow (Pump off) and pump on flow? There should be a major difference...

Last edited by Procrastinator; 06-05-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:21 PM

sucks that your still having problems dude. i had the same exact thing happen to my bike and did exactly what i said to get it to work again.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:33 PM

i know its a mind**** ! its like every now and then when i start it i get a few revs of what its suppose to be like and its great. then back to blah...

fuel lines are clear and pump is pumping more fuel when on versus gravity.

Quick Reply: 98 f3 stumper