CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

'98 F3 really odd stalling problem

Old 09-09-2012, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 F3 really odd stalling problem

About two weeks ago, riding up the highway on the way home as normal, my bike just out of random loses power. I coast off onto the shoulder and try to re-fire the bike. It will start and idle sort of, but if you try to snap the throttle open, it totally bogs out and quits. I tow the bike back to the house and start checking. The bike was low on fuel (probably 10 miles before having to switch to reserve) so I put two gallons in. No difference. Replaced fuel filter to no avail. Checked the output on the fuel pump. Output seemed really low, but the pump was pulsing. Checked float bowls at the drains, all 4 carbs had very little fuel in them. Replaced the pump all together with one of the older Accord units. Pump seems to pulse better, but the problem is still occurring. Bypassing the fuel pump relay makes no difference as well. Last night, engaged the choke, and got her to cough to life and idle. I let her sit for about 10 minutes idling, and gradually I could rev the bike really easily and she wouldn't die, but if you snapped the throttle it would instantly quit. Rode her around the parking lot like that really easily and the warmer the bike got, the better she ran. After about 30 minutes of putting around the lot, she ran like normal. Did dozens of full throttle pulls and she was running great! Parked her, went back out this morning, and it's back to exactly like she was before. Starts and idles, but you can't give her any throttle without it cutting out. And when it cuts out, its like the engine totally shuts down, but if you back off the throttle, it recovers and stays running. I am about at my wits end, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated at this point

Old 09-09-2012, 11:36 AM

Sounds like it could be your float valves, because the carbs aren't getting gas and they should be completely full under even gravity feed other than racing.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:47 PM

Check the plugs man, if its starved for fuel it'll crap out with too much throttle or if the float bowls are stuck and restricting gas flow. Try bypassing the pump just to make sure it not the pump intermittently going out. I had a similar problem on my '98 and it turned out to be the contact points on the pump.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:38 PM

it's your fuel pump, typicall on cbrf3s, you will feel them oulsing but under a high load they'll just quit, trybypassing it and if it gets better then go to Autozone and get an aftermarket one, i guess it'll be a fuel pump for a Honda accord 84 if iremember well.
i mentioned this supposing that your compression, spark and air are all in order.

good luck.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:04 AM

Wasn't the fuel pump. Replaced the pump with one of the Accord units, problem still persisted. Tore the fuel tank down, the petcock screen had a bunch of trash in it, so I replaced the petcock and screen. Problem STILL persisted. Removed the carbs and disassembled, and come to find out the float for #4 had a small crack in it and was allowing fuel to slowly seep in and flood out #4, starving the other 3 carbs for fuel. Replaced the float and knock on wood, I've put about 200 miles on her without issue so far

Old 09-25-2012, 12:09 PM

Glad to hear you figured it out, but man, next time check your pkugs, i would have shown that 1 was e
Wet and the other 3 dry, always check thing as plugs, carbs, lines,loose connections/fuses and filters before starting to buy new parts.

Well now you have a fuel pump and itll run amazingly, make sure to check valbe clearances when you get a chance.