CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

'98 F3 Electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 F3 Electrical issue

Hi guys, like the title says I have an electrical problem. I'm pretty electrically oriented, but this one has thrown me for a little bit of a loop. I rode my bike for about an hour, ~80 miles, ran fine without even a hiccup. I pulled in the shed, shut it off like normal and shut off the fuel. Now the weird part, I went out today and tried to start it, but the battery was dead, and even with a charger on it, it wouldn't turn over. It just clicked the starter relay rapidly, so I roll started it and it started fine, and idled fine, but it would only rev up to 3 grand and kill but pick back up once it came back to idle. The neutral light was normal brightness at idle, but it would get brighter as it revved up to 3K but at that point the whole dash would shut off and the gauges would drop to 0 until, again it would drop to idle.

Do I have a major problem, or could the battery just have a dead short, or a dead cell? It is a new battery I just put in about 3 weeks ago and have only put about 800-900 miles on it. Or is it my voltage regulator/rectifier or something else? I'm very confused on this one and any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
-Frankie

Old 05-09-2011, 02:16 AM

hm... next to the 40a fuse there's a + and - cable, make sure those are secure, also double check battery terminals that they are secure too.

If those are good, check the battery, there's a walk through that'll show you how to test battery and RR

Old 05-09-2011, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by kerosene
hm... next to the 40a fuse there's a + and - cable, make sure those are secure, also double check battery terminals that they are secure too.

If those are good, check the battery, there's a walk through that'll show you how to test battery and RR
All fuses are good, but the low beam and tail light were blown. All connections are good, and the battery has 13.32 volts when disconnected.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:22 PM

Don't check the fuse... "next to the 40a fuse there's a + and - cable, make sure those are secure"

Old 05-09-2011, 04:57 PM

Don't check the fuse... "next to the 40a fuse there's a + and - cable, make sure those are secure"
they are secure, checked, double checked, triple checked, and it's a 30 amp fuse, at least it is on my bike and that's how I got it. Unplugged the R/R and found that one of the connections on one of the yellow wires is burnt. Ordering a new one today.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:32 PM

get a gsxr rr not a honda replacement

Old 05-09-2011, 06:51 PM

get a gsxr rr not a honda replacement
yup, got a 04-05 gsxr 600/750 on the way

Old 05-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by fordfenatic09
All fuses are good, but the low beam and tail light were blown. All connections are good, and the battery has 13.32 volts when disconnected.
What types of voltages were you reading while the engine was running, and at what RPM's ?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
What types of voltages were you reading while the engine was running, and at what RPM's ?
couldn't get it revved up at all so I didn't check, I noticed that one of my connections on one of the yellow wires was burnt on the plug for the R/R so I ordered a new one, I'm hoping my stator is ok because I can't really afford a replacement. I guess I will find out in about 4-5 days when the GSXR R/R gets here

Old 05-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

So long as none of the Yellow wires are shorted to ground (meaning you don't see continuity ) and if you read between any of the Yellow wires to another Yellow wire you read between 0.1 ohms and 1.0 ohms (for the most part any reading that is less than one ohm) you're fine on the Stator and nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply: '98 F3 Electrical issue