CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

97 600 cbr f3 help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 97 600 cbr f3 help!!!

So i just picked up a f3 for a pretty cheap price, only paid 400 for it, its my first bike and im trying to figure out what the issue is with it.

It will try to start but won't fire up, Will have a couple backfires but will never completely turn over.

The guy i bought it from said he had it looked at by honda and 2 other places and they all said it was the carb floats sticking.

Fast forward to now, I took the seat and tank off and there was a hose not connected to a box, looked like a air box of some sort it had a filter in it running to the carbs, still not sure what it was. But anyway got down to the carbs and they were spotless clean, and opening fine with the throttle. I'm thinking maybe the spark plugs are bad the guy had it a year and never changed them so im gonna try to get some new plugs in tomorrow and see what happens but i wanted a second opinion, i don't think its the carbs cause they where getting gas, and when i tried to start with tank off you could smell the gas and saw it spitting. So im kinda stumped and looking what you guys think. Please help

Old 03-01-2015, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 325 Likes on 267 Posts

you really can't tell if the carbs are clean just by sight. Having said that, try spraying some starting fluid or carb cleaner in the carbs and see how they fire then. if they do, then thats a pretty clear indicator the carbs are fouled.
also, it sounds as if the vacuum lines have been messed with. on the cover of the air box there should be a diagram of all your hoses. in addition if they are the original hoses they are numbered.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
you really can't tell if the carbs are clean just by sight. Having said that, try spraying some starting fluid or carb cleaner in the carbs and see how they fire then. if they do, then thats a pretty clear indicator the carbs are fouled.
also, it sounds as if the vacuum lines have been messed with. on the cover of the air box there should be a diagram of all your hoses. in addition if they are the original hoses they are numbered.
Sprayed carb cleaner in all of them still same result, I didn't see anything on the air box but I'll look better tomorrow. The guy I bought it from said it started the other day he said,it just takes the right stroke lately, we even tried to push start it and couldn't get it to turn over

Old 03-01-2015, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

your enrichment circuit may need some attention. if it gives you better luck on warmer days than cold ones there could be an issue there. F3's are fairly sensitive to cold weather.
i would pull the plugs like you mentioned that cant hurt anything

Old 03-01-2015, 08:47 PM

your enrichment circuit may need some attention. if it gives you better luck on warmer days than cold ones there could be an issue there. F3's are fairly sensitive to cold weather.
i would pull the plugs like you mentioned that cant hurt anything
Not sure what the enrichment circle is I'm a noobie. But when I pulled my plugs should it spark in the rubber caps or down in the tubes my plugs are cause I tried firing it up,with the plugs loosened while looking into the rubber caps that go on top of the plugs and I didn't see a spark anywhere, I don't know if that's a problem or not.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

the choke is prettt much the same thing as the enrollment circuit.
the plugs should spark when you have them pulled if you it grounded.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:01 PM

the choke is prettt much the same thing as the enrollment circuit.
the plugs should spark when you have them pulled if you it grounded.
I didn't do anything special to ground it, how do I do that.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

the threads of the plug need to be touching the frame. another way is to buy a spark indicator. they are like 5 bucks and are worth the money imho.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:18 PM

the threads of the plug need to be touching the frame. another way is to buy a spark indicator. they are like 5 bucks and are worth the money imho.
Okay I'll update tomorrow I'm hoping I change the plugs and she finally turns over

Old 03-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

In case you don't find the diagram, refer to this thread:
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3...ection-127264/